Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Yet another JZ-6 Bass VI

Oh yeah. My “decals” are Cricut cut vinyl with a coat of clear over the top.

So, it's not invisible everywhere (especially with the coat of clear after sanding the bits I could still "feel")... hopefully that doesn't mean I have done something wrong.

Good recovery. Once the guitar is together only you (and a few of us) will know!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    Good recovery. Once the guitar is together only you (and a few of us) will know!
    Yeah, I would be surprised if anyone would be able to tell without a close inspection.

Also, in more good news, the gaps between the tuners was not as big as the mock up would have led me to believe... the tuners went in no problem!

So far, so good. In fact, it looks like at least one of my wildest dreams has come true. The low E string when wound to pitch has none of the "large part" of the wind actually on the machine head. This should be a significant improvement over the previous JZ-6 I made.

Good news! Though in my experience a lot cones down to the individual strings, as I find the length of the thick part can vary significantly.

Oh interesting. Even amongst the same brand / gauge?

I’ve now got it strung up with a basic set up (no electronics yet) and it’s pretty good. I might need to make the nut slots a little deeper, but they are close to how I want them.

I made “files” from pieces of the strings themselves, glued onto popsicle sticks. Heh. Easier to keep straight than just using a string like I did on the last one.

Ideally all the strings should have the same length of 'fat' string, but on most sets that length is all over the place. I'm primarily a guitarist, so my basses don't see a lot of use, but I do set other people's bases up so see a reasonable number of strings and I notice things like that.

I normally use the point of a round needle file for the wider nut slots, and can use guitar nut files for the thinner ones, but I have found my old set of someone's handmade nut files (from eBay some years ago) that go up to bass string sizes, including .105 and .125" files.

I had a strange thought. I would have no issues with taking a guitar I just bought in to get set up, yet somehow I would with one I built. Is that because setting it up is “part of it”? Anyway…

Last mock-up before electronics...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast