Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First post, first build! ES-1Q Neck fit issues

First post, first build! ES-1Q Neck fit issues

Hi Guys,

I've just taken receipt of my ES-1Q kit and in the process of part checking and doing the mock build I noticed that the neck is a really loose fit in the pocket. It's so loose that when I insert it there is absolutely no friction. Also, I can pull the neck out about 15mm which I though the joint taper would prevent. With neck installed, I can wiggle it side to side so much that the headstock moves around 20mm. Surely that can't be right? The quality of finish inside the neck pocket and on the neck joint itself is not great.

I'm thinking that I may have been sent an unmatched pair but can't be sure. The body is labelled "5" and the neck is labelled "4" if that means anything?

I've attached a few photos and posted a video (https://youtu.be/S99x_nS7ePM) to illustrate. I've sent an email to PBG to let them know and waiting to hear back from them. I just wondered if anybody had any similar experience or advice or is this body/neck combination a lost cause?

This is my first post and first build so go easy on me!

Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_134743.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	42329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_134631.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	42330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_134244.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	42331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_134137.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	42332  

2. Liked by: PorkyPig

Hi and Welcome PorkyPig,

I have not done an ES kit but that looks very wrong. I have done an SSCM kit with a similar (same!) neck and pocket and it did not look like that.

Hopefully you will hear back from Pitbull soon with a good response.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

4. Liked by: PorkyPig

If the numbers don't match then that's probably the issue. I'm no expert and I'm sure others will give you much better advice but the photo of neck heel and neck pocket shows some fairly shoddy work. None of that looks good to me.
    ---------------------------
    First build: TLA-1F
    Second Build: PSH-1

6. Liked by: PorkyPig

Wow. That's by far the worst I've seen posted here.
    I sure PBG will make it right, but that never should have left the warehouse. I hate to say it but there seems to a steady stream of crap kits coming out. I know things have been hard for everyone in manufacturing the past two years with COVID, but that's no excuse for making rubbish.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

8. Liked by: PorkyPig

Definitely sounds like an unmatched neck and body. Those numbers have always matched on my set-neck kits.

And that kit's definitely getting replaced!

Also in case you haven't read other ES-1 build diaries, the neck angle is almost always too shallow on these kits, meaning that with the standard kit bridge at its lowest setting the strings still end up a long way from the fretboard.

If this is the case, you can shim the neck to increase the angle, but due to the style of neck joint, you'll either end up with some gaps that will need filling, or you'll need to get the chisel out and change the angle of some of those neck joins.

I found this out too late on my ES-1 kit and ended up fitting rimless bridge post hole inserts and getting a Goldo Lowrider bridge (which you'll probably need to source from Germany or somewhere in the EU). https://www.fredguitar.com/en/gibson...er-bridge.html. It is a good quality, very low profile bridge.

The kit bridge is very much the same size as the standard Gibson, Gotoh, Schaller or Tonepros bridges, so nothing inherently wrong with it. It's just the neck angle!

10. Liked by: PorkyPig

Hey guys. Thanks for al the replies.

I just heard back from PBG telling me to return the kit for a full refund. No explanations, apologies or excuses... just return it for a refund!! That's all well and good but I still want a guitar kit to build.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks for al the replies.

I just heard back from PBG telling me to return the kit for a full refund. No explanations, apologies or excuses... just return it for a refund!! That's all well and good but I still want a guitar kit to build.
    Oh - A shame about no apology! I know Pitbull are having lots of trouble getting stock and a lot of kits are not available. I just noticed no more ES-1Q kits available. Have you considered the ES-1F kit?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

13. Liked by: PorkyPig

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    Oh - A shame about no apology! I know Pitbull are having lots of trouble getting stock and a lot of kits are not available. I just noticed no more ES-1Q kits available. Have you considered the ES-1F kit?
    ES-1F looks nice. I'm just worried that I'll end up with the other pair of unmatched neck & body! That's what I reckon happened because of the different pencil numbers on each. I reckon they should be the same if matched.

Maybe:
    Email and let PitBull know you still want a kit but are worried about quality. Get them to take some photos of the neck and body. Also get them to give the kit a once over for quality.

16. Liked by: PorkyPig

Also get them to give the kit a once over for quality.
    I don't know why this isn't standard procedure. I understand there was a big backlog due to production issues, but with the number of defective kits coming out lately, you'd think PBG would be wary about just forwarding the boxes.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

18. Liked by: PorkyPig

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast