Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st build -- AIB-1F

1st build -- AIB-1F

Hi all

I started my 1st build today -- an AIB-1F, flame maple "Ib-style/S-series" guitar (as far as I can tell).

I put my grain darkener on, and found a whole lot of glue smears near the edges of the veneer and the binding. Also on the join. The flaming is mostly on one side too. Is that normal?

What is my best way ahead with regard to the glue?

Should I sand it (noting that it is mostly on the veneer), or will 'Goof Off' (or something else) do the job?

Will it still work with the grain darkener having been applied? Also, will it work on the glue join line?

Finally, do I need to try and darken the flaming on the lighter side? Or is it normal to have regions with much less striping?

That is a lot of questions! Grateful for any advice that could be provided.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 - Copy - Copy.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	433.3 KB 
ID:	40064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 - Copy - Copy.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	599.4 KB 
ID:	40065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 - Copy - Copy.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	40066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 - Copy - Copy.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	40067  
    Last edited by cj18; 10-04-2021 at 05:08 PM.

IMO, the flaming looks great, and I wouldn't worry about it.

For the glue spots, you'll probably need to get some acetone and a clean toothbrush and very lightly work away at those spots. Shouldn't take too much effort (but be careful not to hit the binding with the acetone).

You should be able to lightly sand back the whole grain darkening layer, leaving the grain to pop, and tidying up the glue areas you've just hit with the acetone.

Then wipe down with Shellite, let that dry, then you're good to go with the next layer of stain.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go!

The flaming is mostly on one side too. Is that normal?
    It's not the best book-matching that I've seen, but unfortunately it can be luck of the draw with kits in this price range.
    FTR, I'm not having a go at PBG, 9 times out of 10 they are exceptional quality for the price.

That said, the angle of view and lighting effects how & what we see. Below I've posted 3 different perspectives of my PRS-TS1 from 2018. All with same camera (iPhone) first two are outdoors same time of day, different angles, and third one is indoors mostly artificial lighting.
    in each one the tiger stripes look a little different. The indoor one looks especially uneven by comparison.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS square on.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	432.2 KB 
ID:	40090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS angle lft.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	388.2 KB 
ID:	40091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS indoors.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	40093
    Last edited by McCreed; 11-04-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Oh, I am using wudtone azure lake, if anyone is interested

Hmmmm... not having much luck with the acetone and toothbrush. The stain came away easily, but not the glue. And the lower join line is still really obvious.

Do I need to go a bit harder on the glue spots? I was fairly light with the brush as they are mostly near the binding.

I'd mask off the binding to avoid collateral damage and have another go with some stronger brushing.

Will do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cj18 View Post
    Hmmmm... not having much luck with the acetone and toothbrush. The stain came away easily, but not the glue. And the lower join line is still really obvious.

Do I need to go a bit harder on the glue spots? I was fairly light with the brush as they are mostly near the binding.
    I had trouble with my ES335 build too. I used Goof Off ( available at the big green shed ) then had to restain the area but it came up perfect, couldn't see the difference.

Goof-off is mainly acetone, but I expect the added extra ingredients help in those more stubborn cases.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast