Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch body experiments

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    What pickups did you use?
    Some Musiclily buckers I've had sitting there originally from my PRS-1H . Honestly can't remember if their alnico or ceramic, but they sound sweet in this build. This build was also about being frugal and using up a bunch of stuff I already had. It's only really cost me about $50 on top of what I already had and finish etc.

Some Musiclily buckers I've had sitting there originally from my PRS-1H . Honestly can't remember if their alnico or ceramic, but they sound sweet in this build.
    If they're unbranded Musiclily ones, they're likely ceramic, but as long as they sound good, that's all that matters. I think ceramic pickups get judged unfairly. I know I've been guilty of that thinking. I'm not saying magnet type doesn't matter, just that ceramic does not necessarily equal crap tone as many would have us believe.

This build was also about being frugal and using up a bunch of stuff I already had. It's only really cost me about $50 on top of what I already had and finish etc.
    The last time I did a build on a budget using "stuff I already had", I went out and spent $400 on pickups, didn't I? D'oh!!!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I agree and there's a big difference between ceramic single coil and ceramic humbucker tones

You’ve done some wonderful kits and now you’ve continued that form into your scratch guitars. Really want to pick up that Tele and give it a go. Come to think of, I’ve never picked up a Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    You’ve done some wonderful kits and now you’ve continued that form into your scratch guitars. Really want to pick up that Tele and give it a go. Come to think of, I’ve never picked up a Tele.
    Thank you kind, Sir.

Is that the canary in the coal mine?

Looks to me like you nailed the TV Yellow or pretty dang close. And looking good too!

I couldn't find any pics of the routing on that one. Are you going single pickup ala Double Cut Jr.?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Looks to me like you nailed the TV Yellow or pretty dang close. And looking good too!

I couldn't find any pics of the routing on that one. Are you going single pickup ala Double Cut Jr.?
    Thank you, Sir. Yes I thought I had taken some photos of the routing and bridge placement etc. but must have hurried thru that part. So in answer to your question yes Double Cut Jnr she is. I've got a genuine G P90 dogear to go in pulled straight from a Jnr, just can't remember which year. A few runs to sand unfortunately, then some more coats then clear. If I get it right, you'll slightly see some grain thru the yellow.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast