Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ES 3 Custom Kit Build

ES 3 Custom Kit Build

Ok lets start again.

Always up for a challenge. Like to try and be positive so thought I would start a new thread and just get on with it lol.

Decided to keep the guitar kit and see what I can do.

ES 3 left handed. Mahogany back and sides with flame maple veneer front. Mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard.

I was planning on a butterscotch colour but due to some slight damage to veneer going a burst style to hide repairs. The damage to the binding should be repairable and hopefully neck will hide the fix.

First check for alignment. The nut is not secured as I am replacing it with a bone nut. Unfortunately received a right handed bone nut for a lefty kit from Pitbull so will have a source a new one.

May need to come across a touch to even out strings. Will check it out more once I fix binding.

As for the neck angle alignment in regards to the bridge. It looks like it is about 0.5 mmm below the saddle top so hopefully this is in the range for proper setup. I folded a piece of cardboard to about 2.2mm to represent the height of the post insert rim and adjustment wheel.

Let the fun begin.
    If it aint broken...break it and build something better

2. Liked by: HarmonIser

Yes, the neck angle looks just about OK on yours.

If you are thinking about fitting new pickups, you'll probably have to enlarge the pickup routs as the mounting tabs on the kit pickups are a smaller than standard and I had to widen the end cut-outs considerably to get them to fit in. It's all hidden by the pickup surround, so you can do it at the end (I had to), but you might want to do it now before you put any finish on.

Now is also a good time if you want to fit an internal block so that you can mount a strap button on the side of the upper front bout. It's a better place to put one IMO than on the heel. If you are interested, have a look at my ES-3 build diary as I put in a few pictures of me adding a block inside. It works very well.

Just a few glue spots. Looks like I need another plan lol

Options

1. Thinking 2 coats of sanding sealer then try to stain.

2. Try a few coats of spray primer then spray blue. Just worried about using spray on acrylic as a final coat and ruining top coat with orange peel over spray etc. Maybe someone knows of a good YouTube video that you can recommend to a newbie sprayer.

3. Spray primer, spray paint then use wipe on poly as top coat as I'm more comfortable using wipe on poly.

Oh the choices lol

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Twodogies; 02-01-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Hey Simon

Great tip on the fitting of new pickups before putting on finish. Made sure all new parts arrived and mock up done with new parts.

Simon just on fitting strap locks. I had a good think about this the other night. Usually I would do this before finishing but this time I am going to leave it till later and see. I am only a lounge room guitar player and actually haven't used a strap in years as I am always sitting down when playing so might just see how it looks with no strap locks.

Ok here's an update.

The only option I really had was used spray cans. I think it was a waste of a nice maple top and a lovely mahogany back and sides but o well shit happens.

This is where the fun began. I only ever watched staining videos so using spray cans was going to be an experience especially nerve racking.

The back, sides and mahogany neck were already grain filled with timber mate but I thought I would just start from there.

I sprayed 2 coats of primer on both body and neck then let it dry. Gave another 2 coats of primer, let it dry and gave it a light sand with 400 grit. Then another 2 coats allowing it to dry overnight. Another light sand with 400 grit.

Used Dupli Color Galaxy for the main colour. Sprayed 2 coats let it dry. Sprayed another 2 coats. Dry overnight. Gave it a slight rub with 400 grit just to remove a few nibs and 2 bloody cat hairs lol. Then a final 2 coats. No bad runs and no real outstanding defects in paint after drying for a week.

As I was spraying in 2 parts I was worried about the colour match between parts. So what I did is I kept one can aside that was only used for the final two coats on each side. That way hopefully it will match as it came from the same can not another can which may have came from a different batch. Hopefully it will be the same lol

Not perfect but I think it is the best I can do. The binding on the sides could be cleaned up a touch better and one or two tiny nicks where scrapper blade slipped a tiny bit and I tried to cover. But I think I might leave as is as every time I say to myself I might just tidy this up bit I seem to make it worse.

Please go easy never used spray cans before...

PS. The triple binding on the front is now double binding?? I hid one of the black lines under the top coat.

Now the nerve racking part...the clear coat.

That looks nice! Can I convince you to put strap holders on it? It gives you options and I still use a strap when sitting.
    But hey, it’s your guitar...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    That looks nice! Can I convince you to put strap holders on it? It gives you options and I still use a strap when sitting.
    But hey, it’s your guitar...
    Good morning DarkMark

Thanks..If you think strap holders are the go I will put them on. No worries.

While I am waiting on clear coat to harden thought I might give the wiring a shot.

Think I need a bit of wire lol

First ever guitar kit wiring.... Please go easy lol.

Not the best soldering but all contact points feel secure. Bit worried about heating up pots too much and doing damage. One or two pots did feel a little hot but hopefully all good there. Will find out in about 5 days after final top coat sanding and polishing is completed. Actually might even do a test run first outside of guitar and hook up kit humbuckers and give the wiring a test run to see if I did damage pots.

Have a great weekend
    Last edited by Twodogies; 13-02-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Well it's finally completed. What an experience lol.

Sprayed 15 coats of SCA acrylic. Sanded the usual 400 to 2000, Maguiar's Ultimate Compound the Meguiar's Scratch X 2. Probably could have done a bit better on final finish but after waiting so long I just wanted to play it lol. It would probably end up in that condition after a month of playing it anyway lol.

Have to admit using one of these for the larger clear coat cans made it a lot easier and gave a better finish in my opinion.

Wiring was probably the biggest drama. Think I am an expert in installing wiring into a hollow body now lol. Must have tried to install it about 4 times but had to pull it out and reinstall for various reasons mostly user error. One took me ages to work out. I was getting pickups working on their own but not together. In the end it was the contact on the switch engaging both pickups which was a little bent. Carefully bending contact it worked. Another bullet dodged lol. But to be honest it is a lot easier installing the wiring before gluing neck.

Bridge is low as it goes and string height seems to be about medium. Similar height to the Artist ES335 style guitar I have. So all good there as that is what I am used to. Intonation is spot on. Stuffed up first attempt at sanding nut but luckily practiced on the kit nut first so made sure on the second one lol.

Headstock done in Holden Phantom Mica with Grover vintage style tuners.

All hardware upgraded. Gibson 57 classic pickups, bone nut, CTS left handed pots, Black candy oil paper caps, vintage style cloth wiring, Switchcraft jack and right angled toggle switch.

Was expecting a nice stain finish as that was what I was more comfortable using and had done more research doing stains but after watching hours of videos on using spray cans and having no experience I think it turned out OK and might use cans in more future builds.

Just for comparison, here is a Artist ES335 style guitar and a Pitbull guitar kit.

Last edited by Twodogies; 02-03-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Nice work!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Nice work!
    Thanks FW.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast