Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: PSH-1 Build

PSH-1 Build

Hi Vivek
    I am also building one of these. Haven’t got to staining yet and hope I don’t experience the same glue issues as you have. I did a wipe down with turps and found a few glue spots which I managed to remove with goof off.

Have you checked your neck and action level yet ? Mine was pretty high and I had to make a shim to get it lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrpearson View Post
    Hi Vivek
    I am also building one of these. Haven’t got to staining yet and hope I don’t experience the same glue issues as you have. I did a wipe down with turps and found a few glue spots which I managed to remove with goof off.

Have you checked your neck and action level yet ? Mine was pretty high and I had to make a shim to get it lower.

Hey mate, yes fingers crossed you don’t have the same issues with the veneer. Haven’t tested the neck fit will try it over the weekend and report back. Will check out your build diary to get some pointers, thanks!

Nice recovery, looks like you’re making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Nice recovery, looks like you’re making progress.
    Thanks DarkMark,

I’m trying to get a better blend on the lower part of the body, still very distinct line between the black and blue in some areas

Ok here the end result, don’t want to mess with it anymore…!

As DarkMark said earlier, nice recovery!

Look forward to seeing it with the clear coat on.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks Guys, I plan to French polish the sides and back, for the veneer will do a clear coat, I will try to make my own wipe on poly, equal parts of poly and mineral spirits, based on a YouTube video on how to make it. Will get Cabot’s oil based poly from bunnings for this. Anyone has experience with this product?

Quote Originally Posted by vivek_rc View Post
    Thanks Guys, I plan to French polish the sides and back, for the veneer will do a clear coat, I will try to make my own wipe on poly, equal parts of poly and mineral spirits, based on a YouTube video on how to make it. Will get Cabot’s oil based poly from bunnings for this. Anyone has experience with this product?
    Yep. I have never bought "wipe-on" poly. Been mixing my own for years. I use Cabot's both in satin and gloss depending on whether it's on a neck or a body. I prefer satin on necks.

I typically don't wipe on anymore as I started spraying everything a few years ago, but if it's just a touch-up, I may apply as a wipe-on.
    The general mixing ratio is 50/50 poly/turps, but you can play around with it to suit your needs. I spray at 60/40 poly/turps but that can be wiped on at that ratio as well.

As for the french polish, shellac is not necessarily a great guitar finish IMO. It's not as durable as poly or lacquers and more susceptible to moisture (water, sweat, adult beverages). I only use shellac as a sealer or even as base coat (for it's colour) under poly.

I'm not saying you can't or not to use it as a top finish, just that I wouldn't personally.
    Last edited by McCreed; 26-12-2021 at 10:04 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Yep. I have never bought "wipe-on" poly. Been mixing my own for years. I use Cabot's both in satin and gloss depending on whether it's on a neck or a body. I prefer satin on necks.

I typically don't wipe on anymore as I started spraying everything a few years ago, but if it's just a touch-up, I may apply as a wipe-on.
    The general mixing ratio is 50/50 poly/turps, but you can play around with it to suit your needs. I spray at 60/40 poly/turps but that can be wiped on at that ratio as well.

As for the french polish, shellac is not necessarily a great guitar finish IMO. It's not as durable as poly or lacquers and more susceptible to moisture (water, sweat, adult beverages). I only use shellac as a sealer or even as base coat (for it's colour) under poly.

I'm not saying you can't or not to use it as a top finish, just that I wouldn't personally.
    I was planning to either use truoil on top of the French polished sections or the wipe on poly. might do a combination of truoil on the neck as I like the feel and wipe on poly on the rest of the body…

Note that the initial one or two coats any finish, be it oil, water or spirit-based, will release some of the stain from the wood whilst it is wet. Using big movements with the application cloth will carry the darker colours onto the lighter ones (and vice-versa, though it is far less noticeable), and can affect your burst affect. Which is why spraying at least the first couple of coats on a multi-colour finish is preferable to wiping a finish on. Once those first coats are on, dry and the stain is sealed in, then the wiping isn’t an issue.

If you do wipe, then on the first coats, work from the light centre to the dark outside, and rotate the cloth each time you use it to avoid adding dark stain to the lighter sections. Or dab the finish on, again working from light to dark, and dabbing on areas of a similar shade and using a clean patch of cloth when moving to a darker area.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast