Thread: No sound

No sound

I’m new to soldering and wiring. I have just wired up the pickups for my JB-4M and when I tested it they didn’t work.

I bought some Wilkinsons pickups from Amazon and used those instead of the ones that came with the kit.

There was no sound coming from the pickups. After a couple seconds of silence there then was some sound but it was very quiet and then it didn’t happen again after that.

I took those pickups out and tried wiring the ones that came with the kit and still no sound came out.

I have just moved to Australia and so most of my tools and equipment are still being shipped over including my amp. I have been using a vox headphone adapter thingy (I’m not sure what they are called) so maybe that is the problem but I’m not sure.

I don’t quite know what I could have done wrong as it’s quite simple wiring. Does anybody have any advice on what to do?

Could it be possible the pre wired parts that came with the kit were not working?

Hi Luke,
    can you include a photo of the soldered wiring with the pickups. Maybe also one showing the pickup height from the strings.

Maybe also try the tap test (tap a screw driver onto the pup) to check if any sound is created.

Have you got another guitar (or output) to test the Vox adaptor. Or you may be able to test the PUP using a tap test with the hot and ground wires placed directly onto the tip and pole of the Vox jack plug!!?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

3. Liked by: Luke3

I figured it out.

I was very stupid and plugged the headphone in into the wrong place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk