I would like to remove the finish from an ES style bass using the quickest, most environmentally friendly approach possible. Hoping that I can approximate at least one of those two goals...

It's covered in Duplicolor primer, paint and clearcoat. It was soft for a long time, but never really got super hard. It no longer dents when I put a clip-on tuner on the headstock, but it feels a bit rubbery. It also comes off easily--and has anywhere that a stand has touched it. I am guessing that the high Florida heat and humidity did me no favors when I was finishing it.

I am guessing that I'll need to take it down to bare wood. My inclination would be to sand it flat and then re-finish over the top in a solid color...but the finish just doesn't seem hard enough to do that.

So, if that's the case, how do I get it down to bare wood most expeditiously? I am guessing that heat and chemicals are mostly out because they are likely to damage the binding.

That leaves sanding, but there are all these curves.... I am open to suggestions about how to tackle this. I have orbital and non orbital palm sanders. I have an angle grinder that I could attach a flap sanding wheel to, but I am guessing that's too aggressive. Would be grateful for some advice on grits to get the paint off quickly but not go through the wood.

Thanks!