Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Purple Patch

Purple Patch

This one is coming my way...make 7 underway.....4 nearly done.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...itar-kit-copy/

The GTH is an Ash body with rosewood fingerboard, 2 covered humbuckers, 2 volume and 2 tone.

I have also added locking tuners, bone nut, Neck and Bridge nickel covered Entwistle HV-58 pickups.

The Real Parts order as per usual...

2 x CTS 500k Vintage style capacitors, 1 x set Schaller style strap locks (complete set), 1 x recessed jack socket chrome, 1 x switchcraft jack socket, 2 x Alpha 500k (mini) push pull pots.

Continuing with the Angelus dyes I have also ordered some Purple dye.

I will wait to see if the neck has anything resembling figure before I chose what I do with it.

But, the body will be sanded then timbermate filled. Perhaps Ebony, or Walnut, this time to highlight the figure under the dye. Then just the Purple dye all over. (I don't know how the purple will go over Walnut....but Black will be pretty straightforward.)

I have thought about doing something with the Turquoise I have used on the Blues Bandit build.....but I don't know how I will mesh them together......I have Navy Blue, Blue, Turquoise, Red, Orange, Yellow colours here....and Purple and Green in the mail. (I have a plan to try a dragon burst when the right veneer/kit appears.)

Then I have a range of Feast Watson colours and the U Beaut Water dyes. But I really like how the Angelus ones go on and sit in the wood.

Honestly, the name came from the colour.....and I think I will just do the body completely one colour in purple....the neck either a golden teak or natural colour.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Hi Ozzbike, Hope those colours will come out nice, love turquoise and purple on guitars!

Are you planning any contours on the body?

See you changed out the jack socket for the kit, (my std. Pgb kit one is noisy as) is the switchcraft one a DiMarzio socket?

Cheers, looking forward to the build updates

Thanks for the tip on Angelus leather dye. It is a LOT cheaper than Wudtone!

The best jack that I have found are the Pure Tone Mono Multicontact. I've retrofitted all of my instruments and amps with them as they are great!

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Hi Ozzbike, Hope those colours will come out nice, love turquoise and purple on guitars!

Are you planning any contours on the body?

See you changed out the jack socket for the kit, (my std. Pgb kit one is noisy as) is the switchcraft one a DiMarzio socket?

Cheers, looking forward to the build updates
    Thanks mate. Yeah the colour or colours will be great I think.

A mate on this forum....Wazkelly....put me onto the recessed sockets ages ago. I like their finish. But, I don’t recess them into the hole. I just ensure I get the USA sockets for switch craft jack sockets and then file the hole until the socket sits just proud of the hole with its lip resting against the edge of the guitar or bass.

Switch craft have been an industry standard jack socket for many years. I just find that they work really well.

Noisy can be many things....on my IB-4 kit the long pencil style jack socket was ridiculous....cost nearly $30 to get a better one.

Check with a different lead....try checking the socket and if it touches anything inside the hole....turning strat ones can make a huge difference. Then finally there is control cavity shielding....for single coil pickups this is really a must.

Real parts are just up the road at Peregian Beach. Check out their stock levels....comes and goes quickly.

No just standard Tele body shapes....may have to look and see if the Tele Deluxe has much happening. I am tossing up about the headstock shape....the newer deluxes are a curvy strat shape and the older ones have the nearly standard Tele shape.

I wish you luck with the builds.
    Last edited by ozzbike; 13-04-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cj18 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on Angelus leather dye. It is a LOT cheaper than Wudtone!

The best jack that I have found are the Pure Tone Mono Multicontact. I've retrofitted all of my instruments and amps with them as they are great!
    I have never seen nor tried one of those jacks...will have try google.

For colours these Angelus dyes are magic. For wood tones I still very much like Feast Watson proof tint from the big green shed.

I have not really had much success with water based dyes...through my errors. The F.W and Angelus stuff works great under Cabots spray Polyurethane.

I like the F.W. Colours under my oils and wax finishes too.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    Thanks mate. Yeah the colour or colours will be great I think.

A mate on this forum....Wazkelly....put me onto the recessed sockets ages ago. I like their finish. But, I don’t recess them into the hole. I just ensure I get the USA sockets for switch craft jack sockets and then file the hole until the socket sits just proud of the hole with its lip resting against the edge of the guitar or bass.

Switch craft have been an industry standard jack socket for many years. I just find that they work really well.

Noisy can be many things....on my IB-4 kit the long pencil style jack socket was ridiculous....cost nearly $30 to get a better one.

Check with a different lead....try checking the socket and if it touches anything inside the hole....turning strat ones can make a huge difference. Then finally there is control cavity shielding....for single coil pickups this is really a must.

Real parts are just up the road at Peregian Beach. Check out their stock levels....comes and goes quickly.

No just standard Tele body shapes....may have to look and see if the Tele Deluxe has much happening. I am tossing up about the headstock shape....the newer deluxes are a curvy strat shape and the older ones have the nearly standard Tele shape.

I wish you luck with the builds.

Thanks, good tip on the All parts shop That is only 5 mins away!

Yeah, I have been playing this guitar for the last year (including shielding etc.) and somehow the buzz got worse. It happens as I twist the cable in the socket.
    - So I ordered a new cable, but that didn't help.
    - Then I pulled the Jack out and bent the contact point in for a better more firm connection, better, but still too much noise.

Looking at the design of cj18's proposed Pure tone multi-contact, it is a superior design over the kit jack, might be worth the upgrade for $9.

Thanks for your tips, before I order anything I'll go over everything one more time.

I'm a convert to PureTone jack sockets. Far better than the Switchcraft ones (good as they are). With the Switchcraft style, you can use a stereo jack (with the S and R wired to ground) to provide more support for the jack plug shaft (and some of my friends have been doing that for a long time on their guitars), but the PureTone sockets provide even more support and the jack simply doesn't move when wiggled.

I did a review here: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=10122

8. Liked by: RocknRolf

Thanks Simon, super helpful! And sorry Ozzbike did not mean to take over your thread.

Simon -- I think that review might have been the reason that I decided to give them a go in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by cj18 View Post
    Simon -- I think that review might have been the reason that I decided to give them a go in the first place
    Me too. I am convert as well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast