Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement speaker options

Replacement speaker options

Hey all, I have a cheap little Matrix practice amp that I'm cleaning up a bit and wanted to put a new speaker in. Is it required to match the wattage and ohms? It currently has a 15w 4ohm speaker and I cannot for the life of me find one like that which matches the size. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjh96 View Post
    Hey all, I have a cheap little Matrix practice amp that I'm cleaning up a bit and wanted to put a new speaker in. Is it required to match the wattage and ohms? It currently has a 15w 4ohm speaker and I cannot for the life of me find one like that which matches the size. Thank you!
    Can you show us a picture of the chassis anywhere that has some text or details?

In very general terms, you have to at least match the ohms. The power rating of the speaker should not go below the output rating of the amp. You can go higher (most amps do - eg: a 10w amp with a 15w speaker) but you don't want to go absurdly higher or it will not sound good. It won't hurt the amp or speaker though, as long as the ohm load is matched.

And FWIW, speaker swaps in "cheap practise amps" are generally not going to improve the sound much and not necessarily worth the investment. If you're replacing a broken or dead speaker, that's a different story.

BTW, the only Matrix amps I could find online were high-end boutique amps. Not what I would call cheap. I presume yours is not one of those?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

@McCreed I love it when you talk about ohm loading so early in the morning

Ohm load, truck load, boot load, boat load...

There... that ought to keep you going!!!

Is it a Valve or Solid-State amp?, if it's a Valve amp you need to use a 4 Ohm speaker, something like a 20 Watt 4 Ohm speaker will do the job fine, same goes if it's a Solid-State amp.

Another question is, what inch size is the existing speaker?

If 8", something like this is a good start:

https://www.evatco.com.au/jensen-mod-8-20watt-speaker

6" -
    https://www.evatco.com.au/jensen-mod-6-15watt-speaker

I've always liked Jensens, but it's a very personal choice.
    Last edited by McCreed; 05-04-2021 at 11:32 AM.

That's exactly it Simon thanks! Been battling to upload some pics and reply but it hasn't been working. I believe it is a 7 or 8 inch speaker. As long as I get a 4ohm speaker and don't go crazy on the wattage it should be fine?

That's exactly it Simon thanks! Been battling to upload some pics and reply but it hasn't been working. I believe it is a 7 or 8 inch speaker. As long as I get a 4ohm speaker and don't go crazy on the wattage it should be fine?

A 4 Ohm 25 Watt speaker should work fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast