Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tla-1

Tla-1

In keeping with the tradition of the members of this forum I have ordered another kit before finishing the one that I've got.
    I've always wanted a tele so looking forward to this building and having a play. I dare say this will be my main guitar after it's built so I can retire my much-loved and over-worked Maton Mastersound MS500.

2. Liked by: Brendan, TZK321

In keeping with the tradition of the members of this forum I have ordered another kit before finishing the one that I've got.
    LOL!!! Good on ya!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by glenwilliam View Post
    Good to see you keeping with tradition!

I got that sweet sweet notification from Aus Post this morning that my kit is there to be collected. Goodbye friends and family, I have a new love now.

I got that sweet sweet notification from Aus Post this morning that my kit is there to be collected. Goodbye friends and family, I have a new love now.
    Haha love that! Have fun!

Alright! New kit!
    First things first I did a count and quick layout to make sure I had the bits and pieces. Again featuring my friend/assistant, Harrison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QcCWMK2h.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	34028

Looks good.

Onto the headstock shaping. I'm was going for the traditional tele shape. A little wonky but then again so am I, so I like it.

Name:	JwFD0pyh.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	34029

Name:	VRqVs0th.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	34030

Now time for the infamous bridge positioning. I measured a few times, and I think I have come across the same issue as most people in that the hole for the bridge pickup is just a little too far back:

Name:	bXrJzJdh.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	34031

I also noticed that the pickguard is a little off - it doesn't sit around the neck completely straight so i'm going to have to trim a little off the inside.. nothing major, maybe half a mm.

Name:	hA6GJFhh.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	34032

I picked up a little Ozito rotary tool from Bunningtons this morning as recommended by a couple of people here so looking forward to getting that out and giving it a burl this afternoon! Wish me luck!

Best opening post from any build diary ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a little Ozito rotary tool from Bunningtons this morning as recommended by a couple of people here so looking forward to getting that out and giving it a burl this afternoon! Wish me luck!
    Should be ready for anything then. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it gets regular use.
    Out-lasted the Dremel that it replaced (of course you can use Dremel attachments in it).
    You'll get better and better with practice.

cheers, Mark.

Just double check and measure a couple of times before making any mods. Your 'to remove' markings look a bit larger than I expected.

Remember that the bridge (unlike the control plate) does not touch the pickguard (there should be a 3-4mm gap between them) and that the top B/E saddle should be moved forward almost to the end of the screw before measuring scale length. Measure the scale length in one go, from the front of the high E nut slot to the middle of the high E saddle.

Cut out too much, then find the bridge needs to come back a bit, and you could end up with a visible hole.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast