Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Pre Owned ESB4.

So, truss rod cover. Its been suggested to me it looks too simple and cheap in contrast with the rest. I've got plenty of scraps of the bwb sandwich I used for the pickup rings, so its not a problem to fabricate something else, at least if not too complicated, but what shape? I really dont like the standard Gibsxn style. I suppose I could make it wider with two separate corner radii, which would better echo the pickup shape, or maybe a larger version of the current one... any other suggestions?
    Obligatory build list...
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4

Maybe just a bit wider, and widening out towards the nut. Get the screw hole properly centred and certainly use a smaller screw to fix it. The current one does look rather industrial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize1575668573707.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	32939
    Like this? I think it does look a little better, although I don't know why. Think it probably needs shortening a little.
    Obligatory build list...
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)

Yes, that just looks more natural to me. No idea why, it just does.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Yes, that just looks more natural to me. No idea why, it just does.
    1+

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Irritations:
    1) it takes just as long for a finish of tru oil on the back of the headstock to harden enough to burnish as it does for the whole guitar...
    2) after spending too much time in my life removing recalcitrant case screws from motorcycles, I've developed the habit of immediately chucking cross head screws that were hard to remove - eg tuner screws on maple headstocks. Its saves a lot of aggravation. But I do wish I'd kept just one so I could use it for the truss rod cover. I have scratch plate screws, but they look too big, so the new cover is held on with a tiny black one which doesn't look right either.
    Obligatory build list...

In the words of the immortal (or was it immoral?) Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain."

It is totally sensible to throw out stripped case screws, or any other stripped screws, as well as most screws that have come out of maple. I have way too many of these little suckers because it's better for my mental health to chuck the old ones and only put in nicely waxed fresh ones. So I have gotten used to just buying a box of that ever I need.

With regard to finishing...the only satisfaction is to know you are in good company.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12