Been hearing a bit about silicosis in the media recently where a young 34 year old stone mason passed away last month from this new age disease. Here is an article well worth reading..... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-...risis/10357342

The big issue seems to be the inadequate respiratory safety equipment being used as the particles are so fine that trusty paper mask filters are useless. Plenty of callers also mentioned fine dust particles from woodworking being a potential problem too.

I must confess that I have been too reckless when working on guitar builds through not using any form of dust masks or respiratory protection equipment. In hindsight this was rather foolish and whilst not as serious as working on engineered stone we should not ignore the fact that very fine timber particles can also do some harm. Fine sanded particles from some of the toxic ingredients used in various finish products should not be underestimated either, hence why I wet sand but have noticed how the milky suspended matter reacts with skin on my hands causing splits and cracks that become weeping sores. Hate to think what it would do if inhaled?

A lot of folk like to mock OHS but this could become a really big deal if ignored and implore everyone to 'Man Up' and start using appropriate adequate PPE (personal protection equipment) so that we can all live long & healthy lives to enjoy the things we create and people we love.

Cheers, Waz