Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

I know little to none about making a neck, but I would have thought frets go in after carving. Is there a reason you're going frets first?
    Is it about flex with empty fret slots?
    Thanks
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    You can do it either way. I do it this way so that I have the flat un-carved neck to fix to the bench (using tape and superglue) So at this stage I do the radius, lower the fret slots and install frets, all while it’s fixed to the bench. It also means that after I buzz the fret ends off the sanding and cleanup after carving finishes the ends off. It doesn’t make any difference to the carving process.

Carving Underway

I do it this way so that I have the flat un-carved neck to fix to the bench (using tape and superglue)
    Ah, I get it now. Makes sense.

Have you tried carving your necks with a spokeshave instead of a surform tool? I know a lot of builders like them.
    They're about 90 bucks, but are supposed to give really good control and results. I have one on "the list" but haven't made the investment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I know little to none about making a neck, but I would have thought frets go in after carving. Is there a reason you're going frets first?
    Is it about flex with empty fret slots?
    Thanks
    I think it’s a case of whatever order of operations makes sense to you and how you work.
    I’ve done both and I think I favour fretting after carve. I’ve set up jigs and holders to accomodate this. That said the next couple of neck projects will likely have the reverse happen, just because of the way the neck Blank will be constructed and how it attaches to the body.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Ah, I get it now. Makes sense.

Have you tried carving your necks with a spokeshave instead of a surform tool? I know a lot of builders like them.
    They're about 90 bucks, but are supposed to give really good control and results. I have one on "the list" but haven't made the investment yet.
    Not really, my approach to guitars comes via sculpture and auto body work, so I'm using what I'm familiar with where possible to do shaping. I have seen loads of planes and different chisels and things that look interesting, but at the moment this is working fine for me and I have plenty of control.

I'm really not much of a woodworker. I've messed around with it plenty, but usually utilitarian stuff, never really to build nice objects.

Part of why I want develop a repeatable, template and shop machinery based, build is to take the human error out of a lot of it.

Finishing I can do well, it's getting to that point easily that's the trick for me.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I've yet to build my own neck. I'm equal parts excited and terrified to give it a go. I think I'll get some cheap lengths to play with first before I commit to an expensive piece. I've done very little woodwork so have much to learn. I think this is why I love this forum so much. I'm learning so much from you fine folk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm really not much of a woodworker. I've messed around with it plenty, but usually utilitarian stuff, never really to build nice objects.
    Hah! Sounds like we went to the same school - Utilitarian University!

Hah! Sounds like we went to the same school - Utilitarian University!
    Heh, yeah it's been interesting moving into this hobby and learning a bit more about it. A lot of woodworkers would probably be horrified at some of my methods.

Carve basically done. I'm essentially up to where I'd be if I'd bought this as a kit. As I move through the sanding grades I'll refine a few areas, but overall really happy. I think its better than the previous one. Its skinnier anyway. That said, the neck on the Deluxester has really grown on me, I did set out to build a big assed neck and that's exactly what I got. I think this one is a little more refined.

Neck temporarily attached. I'll go with the same ferrules as the last one.

Comparison with the Deluxster (ignore broken string.. its getting played a lot )

So this really illustrates the new scaling approach. I'm much happier with the current build proportions, and its an evolution of the Deluxster v2.0, the main difference being the bout being a little larger. It's not a huge change, but that extra meat in that area makes it look more balanced in person. It's kind of been understated in photos due to perspective. Looking forward to building the new one in the not too distant future.

Which brings me to a discussion regarding sharing of the Deluxester designs. A few people have said they'd like one (Frankenwalshie and Woltz I know are keen, so pipe up if you are interested as well) as a way of giving back to the community I'm pretty happy to do this, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Obviously, my goal is to be making and selling these things, so I don't exactly want to shoot myself in the foot by giving it away before I've even really started.

So I'm thinking there are a couple of ways to go about it:

1. I supply the design files, to scale, and you can print them out and make the guitar from that as I have been with this guitar. For a one off knocking up some mdf templates should be pretty straight forward for the scratch builders on here. I probably wouldn't charge for this option, but as below would ask that its used for personal builds and that I'm acknowledged as the designer.

2. I get templates cut and you guys purchase them from me (for a nominal cost to cover manufacture, shipping and a design fee)

3. You guys supply me with timber and your desired layout and I route the body and make a neck to the point of carving and send it back to you guys to complete however you like. This would keep all the design and templates in my hands, but there is quite a bit of time involved in getting to that point in a build, even with materials provided, so I'd need to work out what that is worth. I'd say it might end up being the pmore expensive option.

With any of the above options my main proviso is that you acknowledge that they are my designs and don't manufacture them for profit. I'd also think that in any sharing of the build that Pitbull guitars is mentioned as being a big part of how it came to be. So you could for instance brand it as a Deluxster by Frankenlab or whatever.

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on these approaches? I never could have gotten to this point without this community so I'm more than happy to give back a bit, but just want to do it in a sensible way.

Another option might be to talk to Adam about getting them manufactured as kits if there is enough interest. That's no small undertaking, but I think it could be done if Pitbull are keen. I haven't run this by him in any way, so expressing interest for that option here might make the case for at least starting a discussion about it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast