Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swirly Whirly ST-1

Swirly Whirly ST-1

Heya guys!

I've just jumped in and ordered a kit, and I figure I'll start the build diary pre-emptively, and lay out the plans!

So the basic plan is a Black and White Swirled Strat, including wonderful stock image and bonus watermarking:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2017-04-29 21.33.11.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	19051

Of course just a mockup, and was working with what I could find as a paintjob for the body there. I'm also taking a couple of cues from this example in the alternating B/W pickups, and applying that to the knobs too:

Name:	maxresdefault (1) (Custom).jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	19054

And a couple more examples for eye-candy:

Name:	QKJ8fju.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	19052

Name:	Jn1CwMy.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	19053

And as shown in the mockup, a Floyd is in the plans. Just a top-mounted one, and I'll more than likely add a D-Tuna on too. And fortunately, I don't have to swirl the pickguard as I can just buy one with the same material as the one in the mockup!!

Pickups also undecided, I'm tossing up between a set of Rails with splitting, and a set of Noiseless Singles with Clapton-style electrics in it. Could also go for some other sort of single-sized bucker set, a H/S/S arrangement (but I'm not so keen on that because I'm worried about balancing that sort of set properly), or full on EVH style with just bridge pickup. A single White Duncan Invader could look badass...

Anyways, the build's gonna be a bit of a slow starter, gonna have to wait and order the paints next week, then I'm gonna need some time to get some practice with the swirling too. But with a bit of luck it'll come out looking spiffing
    Last edited by B'Lark; 30-04-2017 at 03:13 PM.

That's going to look great! Looking forward to watching it progress
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Looking good B'Lark! The pickguard choice will be interesting - in the example with the b/w pickups it's a busy swirl so I quite like the clean pearl pickguard. If the swirl is less complex maybe a patterned one works better - like in your mockup. I guess the fun part about a swirl is you won't know how it works out til you do it!! Just my 2c - really interested to follow the build!
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

I saw a lot of YT clips about that swirling and I saw the craziest things! Looking forward to see yours
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Looking good B'Lark! The pickguard choice will be interesting - in the example with the b/w pickups it's a busy swirl so I quite like the clean pearl pickguard. If the swirl is less complex maybe a patterned one works better - like in your mockup. I guess the fun part about a swirl is you won't know how it works out til you do it!! Just my 2c - really interested to follow the build!
    Yea that's all still a bit up for debate. I don't have any of the trimmings locked in, so bringing it up for discussion now's perfect!

I definitely see your point with the first example I linked. The pickguard breaks the busy-ness up and contrasts with the paintjob nicely.

I think I am hoping for a paintjob more like the second example. More of a "White WITH black swirls", rather than "White AND black swirl". I think that would give the pickguard some room to be a touch busier, and make it kind of look like it's a smaller version of the overall body swirl.

6. Liked by: Chuck

Great idea B'Lark.

This should be a sinch compared to your scratch MB.

I love strats, good on you for ordering that kit.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

ooooooooooooh!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Great idea B'Lark.

This should be a sinch compared to your scratch MB.

I love strats, good on you for ordering that kit.
    I'm hoping that's the case haha! At the very least it'll be a very different sort of challenge

Yea I've really come back around on Strats more recently. Probably because my first electric was a Strat, and I really miss that guitar, even if it was crap haha

The black and white swirl looks great - complex pattern but simple shades instead of the usual rainbow of colours - cool plan

I'd imagine that you'd be doing quite a few practice swirls on some scrap wood first, though there's always going to be that random element when doing it for real that's going to add a a certain nervousness to the process. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast