Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: RC4A 'the binned guitar'

  1. #1
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    913

    RC4A 'the binned guitar'

    This one has had a difficult birth so far......... it ended up in the bin after a horrid experience trying to clearcost over Dingotone.... operator error nothing wrong with the Dingotone!
    Rescued it in the middle of the night and spent over 4 hours with a razor blade and sandpaper taking it back to bare timber.
    Feast Watson black and jarrah with 10 thin coats of poly. Another week and it should be ready for polishing.
    Cut for double humbuckers.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2873.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	395.3 KB 
ID:	15080

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2874.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	15081

  2. #2
    Overlord of Music FrankenWashie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glebe, NSW
    Posts
    4,425
    MMM would have been a shame to have left it in the bin Mate, it looks as though you are bringing it back though. Nice gloss coming up on the face.
    FrankenLab - Crash test luthiery for your viewing pleasure, BYO popcorn.

  3. #3
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    913
    Thanks! Managed to get it back to bare timber with only a few small scars on the back. Looking forward to getting it together in a few weeks!

  4. #4
    Overlord of Music FrankenWashie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glebe, NSW
    Posts
    4,425
    That operator error on Dingtone is a killer first time up. I went too heavy with the intensifier coats and it turned to poo. I also had to sand all the way back to bare wood and start again. Its a learning experience.
    FrankenLab - Crash test luthiery for your viewing pleasure, BYO popcorn.

  5. #5
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    913
    Glad it wasn't just me! I have seen some wonderful finishes with Dingotone, so I can be done, and regularly! I'll try it again on my next one...

  6. #6
    Overlord of Music FrankenWashie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glebe, NSW
    Posts
    4,425
    It is far from just you bud, there has been a wide range of mishaps, some due to the I D 10 T interface (as in my case), some due to weather and humidity conditions, some due to old batches. There has also been some stunning guitar finishes.
    So far patience and care is the overiding factor it seems, that and kind conditions.
    FrankenLab - Crash test luthiery for your viewing pleasure, BYO popcorn.

  7. #7
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    913
    Same as any finish I guess. Do love the smell of the Dingotone though!

  8. #8
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    913
    Btw, I was planning on letting the poly set for a couple of weeks then hitting it with 2000 grit wet, what polishing paste do people use with a polyurethane finish?

  9. #9
    Member UpperCaseH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    317
    Mate, that looks great, I'm glad you rescued it from the bin!

    I had a similar experience with the DT final coat. Reckon I put too much on, didn't wait long enough between coats, and the weather was too cool and wet. Fixed it by carefully rubbing it back to just the stain/intensifier and then using Tru Oil. I reckon I'll try an all-DT finish again over summer now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

  10. #10
    Overlord of Music kimball492's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,080

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •