Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch body experiments

Oi!!!!

You need some serious help there Mr. Barden!

I don't know whether to feel flattered or violated!
    And thanks for defending my honour BD!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Well this thread has taken a turn..😳😳
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

And for some reason I cannot help but be reminded of Simon's comment on another thread describing the body design as looking "excited" .....

I'm glad to see this thread has settled down...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

It’s OK folks, I’m feeling a lot better now. Please carry on as normal.

It's been too cold (and wet) to get any more paining done on the double cut. So have been finalising the neck angle on the other single cut.

Looks a little high in the photo (hard to juggle everything) but the ruler is sitting about 2mm off the highest saddles. Happy with that for now I reckon.

Is the bridge shimmed up enough to mimic the lowest height the bridge will sit at when you take into account the insert rim height and the thickness of the bottom flange on the posts?

I had that bridge on my GSJ-1 and although it was nice and low, the saddle height was far too low to get a good break angle over them. The string tension pulls the rear of the bridge up, angling the front of the bridge down. This meant that the string came off the rear of the bridge at roughly the same height as the notch in the saddle, especially with the furthest forward saddles. Not good for sound or sustain. There also some play in the screw threads of the post and bushing, so it tends to angle forwards slightly to start with. Small, but it all adds up.

I replaced the saddles with the taller ones from the kit bridge (not a brilliant fit but good enough) and also fitted lock-down (how appropriate at this point in time) studs to hold the bridge flat.

You may find that some lock-down studs will do enough, but please double-check what you currently have with the bridge tipped forwards between the two stud flanges, and then held flat, before being satisfied with the bridge and neck angle.

If you need to fit taller saddles or a different bridge, you may need more neck angle. Here’s the relevant post in my build diary. https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...l=1#post203149

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Is the bridge shimmed up enough to mimic the lowest height the bridge will sit at when you take into account the insert rim height and the thickness of the bottom flange on the posts?

I had that bridge on my GSJ-1 and although it was nice and low, the saddle height was far too low to get a good break angle over them. The string tension pulls the rear of the bridge up, angling the front of the bridge down. This meant that the string came off the rear of the bridge at roughly the same height as the notch in the saddle, especially with the furthest forward saddles. Not good for sound or sustain. There also some play in the screw threads of the post and bushing, so it tends to angle forwards slightly to start with. Small, but it all adds up.

I replaced the saddles with the taller ones from the kit bridge (not a brilliant fit but good enough) and also fitted lock-down (how appropriate at this point in time) studs to hold the bridge flat.

You may find that some lock-down studs will do enough, but please double-check what you currently have with the bridge tipped forwards between the two stud flanges, and then held flat, before being satisfied with the bridge and neck angle.

If you need to fit taller saddles or a different bridge, you may need more neck angle. Here’s the relevant post in my build diary. https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...l=1#post203149
    Yep thanks Simon, been around the block with wraparounds a few times. Can't see from the photos but the bridge is sitting on cards to mimic the height of post rims and flanges etc. I already have locking post studs - I think I suggested them for your build at the time

Great! Yes you did, and it was a good idea. Many thanks. My mate is still chuffed to bits with the guitar.

That string to body gap is going to determine the height of the dog-ear you need. I made a fibreboard shim to raise the one I had up a bit to get a good strong output.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Great! Yes you did, and it was a good idea. Many thanks. My mate is still chuffed to bits with the guitar.

That string to body gap is going to determine the height of the dog-ear you need. I made a fibreboard shim to raise the one I had up a bit to get a good strong output.
    No probs! Glad your mate still loves it. Yes, I have a dogear here, but I fully anticipated some fernangling will be needed to get height right. I have some black 1ply coming for various projects so some of that will make a good shim if required

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast