Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: JRM-1DC set neck. 1st build

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzajon View Post
    Attachment 37400
    Is meant to be “cherry red”, but looks more like poop.

    Every woodworker has had that problem. Sometimes more than once.

  2. #12
    Mentor McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    1,344
    What type of timber are your test pieces? If it's pine, the stain is going to react differently than on mahogany as it is a naturally darker timber.

    I would suggest thinning the stain so you have more control over the shading. It's easier to go darker by adding coats than it is to lighter by sanding back.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    I had all sorts of trouble getting the colour I wanted. Stained then sanded the top 4 times.... On the 4 th attempt I ended up with a top I can live with, but not exactly what I envisiaged. This stain dries really fast,so if you muck about too long, the result is terrible.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F302E925-299E-4062-B142-B5091992257B.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	37456

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the advice. Thinning the stain would be the best idea. I was impatient and tried to speed things along. (And failed). Set me back about 3 days. I’m going to leave it as is and glue the neck in. I will slow everything down and set it up correctly prior to gluing.😀
    Wired up the harness last night.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC2881FA-A36C-4D04-9F2A-464B53EDD68A.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	37457

  5. #15
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    7,233
    I like the colour. It will look nicer once you've got some clear over the top, levelled it and polished it up. It's similar to my GSJ-1, which went quite dark (I did apply more stain and then some vintage cherry lacquer to help cover up glue lines and marks in the wood), whilst my GSM-1 has stayed a brighter cherry red. I like both of the colours I've ended up with.

    Nice neat wiring harness.

  6. #16
    Mentor McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    1,344
    ...I ended up with a top I can live with, but not exactly what I envisaged.
    Yeah, more often than not that's what happens, but it can also lead to pleasantly unexpected results.

    +1 on the tidy wiring too!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  7. #17
    Mentor fender3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,164
    Funny how some builds just sort of emerge organically rather than as planned.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Victoria
    Posts
    10
    I glued the neck on last night and gave it a coat of clear this afternoon. Also counter sunk studs for the bridge as I couldn’t get the action low enough. The weather has turned cold and rainy, so might have to wait a couple of days before giving it a light sand and second coat of clear lacquer. I’m learning to be patient...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A74CAD4-96B7-4169-B870-97FD97ED5E4A.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	489.3 KB 
ID:	37471

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •