Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: My First Build: Which Red Is The Best Red?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Canbubble, Australia
    Posts
    48
    Looks great. My first one came out a little assymetric as well.

    You'd never know these days, you're not allowed to get that close!

  2. #42
    Mentor jugglindan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,135
    I like it

    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    28
    i'm trying to sand it back to shape as much as possible and it's working out quite well!

  4. Liked by: jugglindan

  5. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    28
    Right guys,

    So I understand the principal of scale length and bridge placement but can somoene please explain how far back from the bridge to be installing the bigsby tremolo? I've watched a bunch of videos on bigsby installation and scale length but haven't come across anything that can answer my question unfortunately.

    Please help!

  6. #45
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,770
    I've never used a Bigsby but I'd simply look at a few photos of Bigsby equipped SGs to get an idea. Looks to be about 2"/50mm back from the bridge. I can see some variations in the positions, so it's not critical. What you need to think about is the string break angle. You don't want the Bigsby so close that the strings are pulled onto the rear of the bridge. Or so far away that the break angle is too shallow so there's not much downforce holding the strings in the saddle slots.

    I'd set your bridge up to the height you'd expect it to be once the guitar is set up (run a straight edge along the neck and have the saddles about 3mm higher than the spot where the edge meets the bridge). Then set the Bigsby about 50mm behind the bridge and look at the angle the strings will take from underneath the roller bar to the saddles. If there's any risk of the strings touching the rear of the bridge, then move the Bigsby back a bit until you know you won't have issues.

  7. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I've never used a Bigsby but I'd simply look at a few photos of Bigsby equipped SGs to get an idea. Looks to be about 2"/50mm back from the bridge. I can see some variations in the positions, so it's not critical. What you need to think about is the string break angle. You don't want the Bigsby so close that the strings are pulled onto the rear of the bridge. Or so far away that the break angle is too shallow so there's not much downforce holding the strings in the saddle slots.

    I'd set your bridge up to the height you'd expect it to be once the guitar is set up (run a straight edge along the neck and have the saddles about 3mm higher than the spot where the edge meets the bridge). Then set the Bigsby about 50mm behind the bridge and look at the angle the strings will take from underneath the roller bar to the saddles. If there's any risk of the strings touching the rear of the bridge, then move the Bigsby back a bit until you know you won't have issues.
    Cheers mate. That actually makes a lot of sense. With my setup, unfortunately, it looks like I won't have much of an option! Any further back than where it sits in the picture and I'll be hitting the knobs. In any case, I think I've cleared it enough so that it doesn't hit the back of the bridge. I guess I just wanted assurance that there's not some magic distance away from the bridge that I need to follow to the T.

    Side note, I've seen some configurations where the screws of the bridge face the back and others where the screws face the neck... which way is it supposed to go?

    Edit: It looks like if i point the screws towards the neck and adjust the saddles correctly, I can get enough clearance from the back of the bridge. Am I doing this right??

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	34828

    Here goes nothing!
    Last edited by JohnathanL; 29-04-2020 at 05:00 PM.

  8. #47
    Member GregLane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nelson Bay NSW
    Posts
    152
    Hi JL
    I have only just caught up with your build diary so I may a bit late to talk "red".
    My signature at the bottom shows my two builds that are different reds. My minds eye does not see guitars in any other colour than red so the next on will be too.

    I have used real colortone imported from the USA. Put it on at 15 to 1. I think the stuff in Aus has been diluted to at least 30 to one. Although that is also a recommendation from StewMac.

    My LP is Red with a touch of Red Mahogany to take out a bit of Cherry. I wiped on and off two coats to give the grain a bit of a head start. I thought Black would be too dark for what I wanted for the LP. All mixed with metho.

    The ST I wanted really dark so used red mahogany on black timbermate grain fill. Really happy with the result.

    The guitars were finished with Tru-Oil. A long but productive process. The tru-oil is very forgiving.

    All the gory details are described in the build diaries.

    Good Luck. It will be worth the effort.
    Guitars:
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - In Progress
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustic -Washburn WD18SW
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

  9. #48
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,770
    It really doesn't matter which way round the intonation screws go. The original Gibson ABR-1 T-O-M bridge ones were normally set facing forwards as they sat near the top of the bridge and could get in the way of the string running unobstructed down to the stop tailpiece. Being near the top of the bridge, they were fairly easy to access over the top of the bridge pickup.

    When the deeper Nashville style T-O-M bridge was introduces, the (now captive) intonation screws sat further down the bridge body so were harder to adjust if facing forwards, and being lower meant they didn't foul the strings if facing the rear, So they are normally set up with the screw facing the rear. But it's really all about ease of access to the screw.

    Looking at your picture, you look like you'll be better off with the screws facing forwards as the stings pull down quite severely. I'd really think about fitting a bridge with roller saddles. I've got one on a Flying V with a Maestro-style trem, and as long as the rollers are oiled occasionally, that stays in tune very well.

    It does rather look like the kit controls are higher up on the body than on a real SG, limiting the Bigsby location. Unless you abandoned the flame top and went for a solid paint colour, then there isn't a viable option for filling the existing control holes and redrilling them further down.

  10. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLane View Post
    Hi JL
    I have only just caught up with your build diary so I may a bit late to talk "red".
    My signature at the bottom shows my two builds that are different reds. My minds eye does not see guitars in any other colour than red so the next on will be too.

    I have used real colortone imported from the USA. Put it on at 15 to 1. I think the stuff in Aus has been diluted to at least 30 to one. Although that is also a recommendation from StewMac.

    My LP is Red with a touch of Red Mahogany to take out a bit of Cherry. I wiped on and off two coats to give the grain a bit of a head start. I thought Black would be too dark for what I wanted for the LP. All mixed with metho.

    The ST I wanted really dark so used red mahogany on black timbermate grain fill. Really happy with the result.

    The guitars were finished with Tru-Oil. A long but productive process. The tru-oil is very forgiving.

    All the gory details are described in the build diaries.

    Good Luck. It will be worth the effort.
    Hey mate, thank you so much for the input! I've literally just finished with the angelus leather dye and I must say I'm quite impressed by it. I used the applicator but that was way too botchy so I ended up using a rag to blend. I'll probably be sanding back a little int he dark spots tomorrow and hit it again with the cloth. Much better blend.

    I will however, be using truoil for the finish. any hot tips on those?

  11. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It really doesn't matter which way round the intonation screws go. The original Gibson ABR-1 T-O-M bridge ones were normally set facing forwards as they sat near the top of the bridge and could get in the way of the string running unobstructed down to the stop tailpiece. Being near the top of the bridge, they were fairly easy to access over the top of the bridge pickup.

    When the deeper Nashville style T-O-M bridge was introduces, the (now captive) intonation screws sat further down the bridge body so were harder to adjust if facing forwards, and being lower meant they didn't foul the strings if facing the rear, So they are normally set up with the screw facing the rear. But it's really all about ease of access to the screw.

    Looking at your picture, you look like you'll be better off with the screws facing forwards as the stings pull down quite severely. I'd really think about fitting a bridge with roller saddles. I've got one on a Flying V with a Maestro-style trem, and as long as the rollers are oiled occasionally, that stays in tune very well.

    It does rather look like the kit controls are higher up on the body than on a real SG, limiting the Bigsby location. Unless you abandoned the flame top and went for a solid paint colour, then there isn't a viable option for filling the existing control holes and redrilling them further down.
    Thanks Simon. Like I mentioned in the edit, it looks like forward is the way to go so I'd agree with you I'd prefer not to fill and drill and I'm quite happy with the results of the angelus dye. I'll be sanding back the dark spots and hitting it again tomorrow though. It's not exactly heritage red but it's just right IMO. Vivid but not too vivid. Bold but not too bold. I'll share some photos when it's done!

    You've been a real lifesaver mate. Thank you so much!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •