Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Router trim bits

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    IIRC, I think you mentioned having a small drill press.
    No, that's not me - I was drilling string through and ferrules with a power drill

    I would like to get a drill press - but one with a big enough throat for drilling ferrules seems prohibitively expensive. I’m also operating out of 10x4 garden shed that needs to store all the stuff for a family of four (lawn mower, bikes, chairs, tables etc). So there’s not really any room for large machinery.
    Last edited by Groovyman32; 23-02-2021 at 03:56 PM.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    In my case, it was not too bad to fix. The piece came off clean. It's not in a place that bears any sort of load, and I was able to glue it back without too much fuss.
    It looks great!

    Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Also, I would do it on a table. you can make one or purchase one cheaply, but this would be hard to do without a router table of some kind, I think.
    I was toying with idea of going with a trim/palm router and mounting it to a piece of acrylic that could be clamped to my bench. I saw this in a Stewmac video which set me on this whole path. But then I didn't want to have to buy two routers and a trim router might not be so good for trimming bodies.

    But it took me 30 mins to do it by hand so it seems like the way to go for now.

    Thanks for all your help!

  3. #13
    Mentor McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovyman32 View Post
    No, that's not me - I was drilling string through and ferrules with a power drill
    My mistake. Too many builders to keep straight.

    So I take it that's 10x4 feet, not metres???
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    So I take it that's 10x4 feet, not metres???
    Yes!! The British can't seem to decide which dimensions to use. People and sheds seem to be measured in feet though?

    Actually, now that I'm browsing pillar drills... they're not that expensive - or big. What's a decent throat size? 200mm?

  5. #15
    GAStronomist FrankenWashie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glebe, NSW
    Posts
    5,355
    200-250 should see you well in on string through for a Tele if you are going from the bottom end of the guitar body.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab
    Where “What if?” meets “Why the hell not?!”.


  6. Liked by: Groovyman32

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovyman32 View Post
    I would like to get a drill press - but one with a big enough throat for drilling ferrules seems prohibitively expensive. I’m also operating out of 10x4 garden shed that needs to store all the stuff for a family of four (lawn mower, bikes, chairs, tables etc). So there’s not really any room for large machinery.
    I'm not sure what the situation in the UK is (COVID probably puts a damper on things anyways), but here in the land of Oz we have places called Mens Sheds, which is kinda like a place where you can make stuff, and also get a bit of mental support. Some sheds have an amazing array of tools, so now I have access to things like a jointer and a variety of band saws. I moved to a 2 bedroom villa, so I have no space for such tools, and I would be less than popular with the neighbours. Maybe there are such organisations over the pond?

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    43

    Router trim bits

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I'm not sure what the situation in the UK is (COVID probably puts a damper on things anyways), but here in the land of Oz we have places called Mens Sheds, which is kinda like a place where you can make stuff, and also get a bit of mental support. Some sheds have an amazing array of tools, so now I have access to things like a jointer and a variety of band saws. I moved to a 2 bedroom villa, so I have no space for such tools, and I would be less than popular with the neighbours. Maybe there are such organisations over the pond?
    Yeah we have those in the UK but I’m not sure if there’s anything local. And yes they’d all be shut at moment for COVID.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Groovyman32; 23-02-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •