PDA

View Full Version : Cancer, the "Insidious Disease"

AJ
11-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Hi Guys, I know this is off topic for the forum, but I feel strongly about this subject.
a bit over 30 years ago I lost my mother to breast cancer, since then the treatments and drugs, awareness etc have all improved to increase the survival rate for those that become afflicted to this. One of the newer drugs that has improved the survival rates of breast cancer is "Abraxane" and is on the PBS for breast cancer only.

My older sister (only a few years my senior) has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, it is inoperable. Over here in Au, they have a drug that is used with breast cancer treatment and is on the PBS for that disease only. The new drug "Abraxane" has increased survival rates from 5% to 30% for "Pancreatic Cancer".

I am asking if you all could sign this partition to have it placed on the PBS over here so that the average person can afford to at least have a better chance of survival . Currently the cost of the drug is $15,000 per treatment, on the PBS it would be $28 per treatment.

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/federal-minister-for-health-peter-dutton-please-approve-abraxane-on-the-pbs-for-pancreatic-cancer-patients?recruiter=89183698&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition
Thanks in advance for your support

wokkaboy
11-04-2014, 06:33 AM
no problem AJ I just signed the petition. Thats sad news about your sister. Hope the petition can make a difference, thats ridiculous the price difference not being on PBS !
I wish your sister all the best and hope her health improves !

dingobass
11-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Done... My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your Sister, AJ

wokkaboy
11-04-2014, 06:54 AM
some good news AJ we should have the microbrewery and piped Little Creatures set up in the naughty room soon so you won't need to do any more slab runs ! :)

AJ
11-04-2014, 07:55 AM
ty guys, want me to unpack the home made still.. whats your poison, moonshine corn scotch, glenfiddic.. captain morgans dark or white rum?..lol

wokkaboy
11-04-2014, 08:02 AM
glenfiddich sounds good AJ, bring it on. When we're changing brews on the microbrewery we will have 'backup' !

jarrod
11-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Done AJ. Guys sign up, your signature could be part of helping a lot of people.

DanMade
11-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Done, all the best wishes for your sister A.J.

robin
11-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Done AJ. Before I lost my beloved wife to another disease, she suffered greatly with her fight with cancer.

My prayers go out to you and your Sister.

God Bless mate
rob

adam
11-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Hey AJ, thanks for sharing this, consider it signed. It is sad that some of the "less glamorous" cancers (bowel, kidney, pancreatic) do not get anywhere near the media coverage that breast cancer receives. As such, they always struggle for sufficient funding. If there's anything more Pit Bull Guitars can do just say the word.

MetalMatt
11-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Done and done (made the wife sign it too)

Sorry to hear AJ, it's a bastard of a disease.. good luck to your sister.

quiet1_au
11-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Signed it AJ - sorry to hear about your sister :-(

Gavin1393
11-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Signed! Prayers for a speedy recovery for your sister.

AJ
12-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Thank you every one for your support, ever little bit helps to get the government to act, albeit slowly.
Not a real lot I can do except hope that she responds to treatment,one good thing is my sister does have a positive attitude and that in itself goes a long way.

Adam, thank you for the offer on behalf of Pit bull, there really is nothing else apart from getting friends/relatives to sign the petition.

(I have told Glynis the support all of you have given, she sends a hearty thank you)

Analyst69
13-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Signed AJ

Still often find myself amazed that the Government doesn't do all it can to help Cancer sufferers and that this sort of thing needs petitions and prodding from the public. Maybe my expectations are too high, but really I thought the idea was that the Government collects taxes to enable it to provide the services and support for the population that is needed...I'll get off my soapbox now (hey, maybe a soapbox guitar in the style of a cigar box guitar is worth some thought)...

Hope things improve for your sister.

As you say a positive attitude goes a long way.

Cheers

Darren

Bass Guy
16-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Done, AJ. Cancer is a true bastard of a disease- wishing you and your family all the very best.

AJ
08-07-2014, 01:08 AM
Thank you everyone for the support of the petition, Looks like the drug is being re-appraised to be added to the PBS for pancreatic cancer now. the following is what has be sent to myself from the original organizer of the petition:

Petition Update
VICTORY IS OURS
[object Object]
Megan Barnes
Sydney

5 Jul 2014 — Thank you to each and every one that took the time to sign my petition to both the Federal Health Minister and my local MP Scott Morrison. To say I am overwhelmed by the support received is an understatement.

A huge thank you goes out to Bedside to Bench, the APGI, Pancare and the Garvan Institute for believing in me and supporting me all the way.

Amazing news broke last night with the PBAC revisiting their initial assessment. Abraxane will now be available for $36.10 per month, opposed to $5000 per month.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/federal-government-to-fund-breakthrough-pancreatic-cancer-drug/story-fni0cx12-1226978342099

I have been humbled to receive so many phone calls and messages of support today. I did this for my late Dad, in the hope one day this medication could start to aid the treatment of the insidious Pancreatic Cancer.

My journey is not over, as I will be supporting further Pancreatic Cancer awareness in the upcoming months. If you would like to keep updated you can email me at nagem1@optusnet.com.au

Once again, thank you every one for your support.

pablopepper
08-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Excellent news. Well done AJ!

wokkaboy
10-07-2014, 05:40 AM
good news AJ, glad the petition was successful

kells80aus
10-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Well Done