Thread: Anybody building a new PC DAW System

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In Reaper you are listening to quite a naked sound and a single sound file for a drum kit getting it sounding right is quite a challenge because each drum has different EQ & Compression requirements to sound good.

I use Drummica from Senheisser which is free, a bit of stuffing around to get running but it is recordings of a live drummer with a huge library of beats.

Drummica here http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica the site is in German so a bit of thought is required when working through the download but it is fairly intuitive

I sit down with my band mates and find the pattern and sound we want and then come home and create the drum tracks.

Typically kick ( front & back ), snare ( top & bottom ), hi hat, overhead & toms if applicable.

These are all individual tracks that need to be aligned, kick on 1&3 snare on 2&4 etc which takes only a couple of minutes , I then apply EQ & Comp to each track to get the sound I want, slight verb on snare, I balance them individually and then route all these through a drum master track so I can change the entire kit volume in the mix without trying to rebalance each item each time.

I also use automation to bring the snare and cymbals up where required.

Apart from the drum VSTi I don't use anything to treat the drums that isn't native in Reaper.

Kenny Gioa has a heap of terrific Reaper specific tutorial vids on YouTube.

Your main production tools are EQ and Compression and remember "less is more" with these tools, chaining a couple of EQs using small steps will give a better result than smashing it down unless you are looking for a specific sound

Keep asking and I'll do what I can to help.
    Last edited by dave.king1; 15-08-2017 at 07:59 AM.

2. Liked by: Guvna19