Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Build?! 6 string neck through single cut bass!!!

3rd Build?! 6 string neck through single cut bass!!!

With the terrible storms raining upon us in NSW, I couldn't spray any more coats of lacquer on my second project. Rather than waiting around doing nothing, I decided to start on my third project, wait for the rain to die down, then continue with the lacquer.

This is a rather ambitious build for me, but I've been thinking of how to build a neck through bass for months now - ever since I started my first project this idea has been popping up in my head non-stop! So I had to do it, with the limited tools that I have.

For starters, I think the ideal way to build a multi-laminate neck through guitar would be to glue all the blanks together, profile them square and cut out the shape. However, since I don't have a bandsaw, planer or jointer, I have to make do with a lot of hand tools and simple power tools. Time to get creative!

For the bass, I plan to do 6 strings (5 strings was the original plan but why not have an extra string to play with? ), with a narrower string spacing at 16mm at the bridge and a 52mm nut. I plan to taper the neck all the way to the body, ala Wynn bass style without the tapered laminates. I also grew to like single cut basses.

Seeing that they weren't any plans for 6 string single cut basses, I had to design my own. 34" scale, 24 frets, with a tapered neck to body.

Enough of the rambling and here are some pictures!

I later found out that the fretboard blank was too narrow, so I'll be using some rosewood binding to extend the edges plus that will help hide the fret tangs!

With my plans in hand, I traced the dimensions onto some MDF to make the headstock side profile template.

Then I made the headstock side profile template.

I managed to get the top of the headstock flat by sanding. To get the bottom part flat, I routed using a straight piece of MDF as a template.

With the headstock template completed, I traced the outline and the dimensions of the neck and body onto my maple blank.

Then cut it out to shape.

To make the neck straight, going from 15mm at the first fret to 19mm at the 12th fret, I used a long straight piece of MDF as a template and routed.

And also cleaned up the headstock. You may notice I left a huge hump there. That will be the volute and I left plenty of meat so I can get creative and carve up something nice.

Then I transferred the outline onto the mahogany blanks. Since the maple was thin, it started to warp a little but nothing too serious.

Then I cut out the shape with a hand saw and a jig saw.

Music helps keep me sane when cutting by hand.

The jigsaw struggles a bit with such thick wood, that's why I like to stay clear of the line, using relief holes and cuts, and let it rest after cutting for prolonged periods.

With the neck laminates all roughed out, I then proceeded to cut out the QLD walnut veneer.

Test fitting all the laminates together:

And this is how they all look like:

Hopefully the rain will clear soon!

Fantastic Simon, you are an inspiration to us all.

Too cool mate! This will be epic.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

another super cool build Simon, why not have a 6 string bass, can't wait to watch the build.
    What the hell are you wearing in the earlier photos a white lab coat ? hope you got the pen protector in the top pocket ? haha
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast