Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred's 1st Build - STA1M

Fred's 1st Build - STA1M

Hi guys,
    Okay, so this is going to be my first build. I've been playing guitars with double humbuckers (badly) for a few years (well... actually that's 20 few years...) and with age I'm starting to enjoy a nice clean funky sound and I thought I needed a Strat. And then I found I could build one... let's do it!
    So order was placed, and my kit arrived a few days later. That was couple weeks ago.
    There was a slight issue with the pickups, electronics and nut bones, but Adam sorted it out and a week after I had all the right bits with me.

I got from PBG:
    - STA-1M kit with gold hardware
    - Pure Vintage Tonerider pickups
    - replacement Bone nut
    - The Dingotone Colourless Neck Finish
    - Dingotone Guitar Wax
    - And a few Dingotone Luthier supplies (sanding paper, steelwool and copper shielding kit)

The plan is to make something like the deep blue STA1 built by Gavinturner a few months back that won GOTM April 2015. I had a blue Strat in mind and when I saw Gavin's that was almost exactly what I had in mind!
    So same concept but with maple fretboard, and looking at keeping the white pickguard.

I found some blue and black Colortone and I'm going to try and make a black-blue burst... wish me good luck!

Here are the pics of the kit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0192.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	5978

Name:	IMAG0205.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	5977

And here are a couple photos of the guitar:

Name:	IMAG0213.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	5979

Name:	IMAG0215.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	5980

Very happy with the wood, looks beautiful!

So I got started yesterday with a dry build.
    I started by fitting out the machine heads... and found the holes were not quite lined up...

Name:	IMAG0237.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	5981
    So I went on to 'ovalise' 3x of them up, and the 3x others down. The actual holes are masked by the washer on top and machine head underneath, so one will see that the hole is not round anymore!
    And here's the result:

Name:	IMAG0239.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	5982

Still not perfect, but I thought it was time to stopped messing around before I started going too far... It's not very visible with the kit mounted:

Name:	IMAG0241.jpg 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	5983

Next step was to drill the neck. The neck is very very tight and leaves a little gap at the bottom. But it's hidden by the pickguard, so I won't worry about that:

Name:	IMAG0243.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	5984

Name:	IMAG0247.jpg 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	5985

So here we go, neck is drilled:

Name:	IMAG0252.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	5986

Then goes the bridge:

Name:	IMAG0258.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	5987

Now the hook for the springs at the back.
    I wanted to try and keep the holes as horizontal as possible and that wasn't working with the drill... so I fitted a 3mm drill bit in the dremel's flexible extension and went on to drill on slow speed (tried on fast but the wood getting too hot...)

Name:	IMAG0260.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	5988

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	5989
    Went pretty well.

I then fitted a string on the low and high Es:

Name:	IMAG0268.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	5990

I think I got the bridge a bit off centre and the strings are closer to the edge on the high E side by about 1mm. I'm not too worried as I read on this forum that it can actually make it easier to play, did I get this right???
    I think it's too late anyway...

good choice!!
    I am also a newbie builder, at this stage Im finishing my 2nd build, my advice is, do it SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, take care at every stage, when you sand the body and you think "thats as smooth as its EVER gunna get" your not even 1/2 way there, watch out for undulation between grain layers particularly in the belly cutaway.
    I am also in Sydley, so when applying the DT finish, DONT do it on humid days, after applying, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait, let it dry, so far, twice when I have applied the next coat I have watched it shrink into itself and end up orange peeled, at that stage I have had to wipe it off and try again later.

More tips,
    go to the big green store, and buy a soft brush, when you use steel wool it leaves a HUGE amount of steel dust behind, Im lucky and have an air compressor so I use air to clean off.
    Be very careful of getting oil/grease/whatever onto the wood before you start to apply finish, if you get a thin spot in your finish it doesnt matter how many layers you add theres always that thin spot.
    Last edited by soundguy4033; 18-10-2015 at 08:15 PM.

When I was playing with the jack plate I found that it wasn't resting flush on the body as the hole was slightly too short and to get the tapered side of the plate flat I had to push the jack connections hard into the body...
    So I got the dremel out again with a sanding drum and lowered that side of the hole, that is better:

Name:	IMAG0270.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	5991

And just to be safe I shaved some of the wood on the other side to make sure there's plenty of space for the jack. I used a large engraving bit on the dremel to slowly carve it. Not pretty, but no one will see it!

Name:	IMAG0276.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	5992

Then I removed the plastic nut. I slid a scalpel between wood and nut on both sides, gently tapped it on both edged with a screwdriver and hammer, and finished it by grabbing it with a set of pliers and slowly moving it until it started cracking. And now it's out and nothing got damaged:

Name:	IMAG0278.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	5993
    Last edited by FredA; 18-10-2015 at 08:09 PM.

And finally I shaped the headstock. I have been contemplating various funky different and unique designs... but I couldn't find something I liked... I was sort of coming back to the shape of the 'real-thing' while avoiding it...
    So I accepted it and went for a classic F shape.
    I didn't use any template though. I found a small plastic container on my bench that had a suitable diameter and used that to mark the circle. Then I used the dremel sanding drum to make the smaller circle, and finished it with a straight line:

Name:	IMAG0282.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	5994

Name:	IMAG0283.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	5995

Then the jigsaw got to play sloooowwwwly!

Name:	IMAG0284.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	5996

And I finished the shape with the palm sander with a 80 sheet of sandpaper to get the shape 'rounder', followed by a second pass with 120, and then 180. And I finished by some hand work with a sheet of 180 and a sanding block.
    Looks almost there:

Name:	IMAG0285.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	5997

Name:	IMAG0286.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	5998

I need to spend more time sanding the round part to make it really round, but it's not far.

I've started sanding the neck with 180 sandpaper, but that's enough for this weekend!
    I'll try to do some sanding during the week.

make sure you keep that plastic nut, its a good template to shape the bone nut too

I do have a question re the frets though.
    I find that most of the frets are not fully seated in the middle:

Name:	IMAG0235.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	5999

The sides are okay, but I can see a small space between fret and fretboard in the middle.

I read on this forum that these can be pushed back in with a hammer with nylon head, is that right?

Thanks!

Yep that's what I figured out and why I spent so much time trying to get it out without damage instead of sawing it down the middle...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast