Thread: TL-1TH switch wiring confusion

Question TL-1TH switch wiring confusion

Greetings. In the process of building my first kit, and learning as I go, I'm stuck on what appears to be an inconsistency between the map and the terrain. This kit has 2 humbuckers and a 3-way switch, and the diagram (from the pitbull website: https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co..._tele_2014.pdf) clearly shows 7 lugs on the switch. The switch that came with the kit however has 8. Am I missing something here? What would wiring to my switch look like?

Grateful for any thoughts or ideas.

/Mansson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diagram.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	896.3 KB 
ID:	33006

Hi and welcome.

The 7-lug switch is just like an 8-lug switch except that the two middle lugs on an 8-way are normally linked/soldered together. This is basically done internally for you on a 7-way switch. So for your 8-way switch strip a bit more wire bare at the end (on what is the blue wire on the PBG wiring diagram), so you can poke it through from the rear of one of the two middle PCB tabs, then fold the rest of the bare end of that wire back through the middle of the other middle tab, then solder them so that the tabs now become linked.

An 8-lug switch is more versatile if you want to do some slightly more fancy options with the pickup wiring, but for standard 3-way wiring. either a 7-lug or 8-lug switch is fine.

Hope that makes sense.

3. Liked by: Mansson

Many thanks Simon! Extremely helpful & makes perfect sense.

Cheers,

Here's diagram that will work for you.
    It's shown with single coils, if you have 2 conductor humbuckers, it's the same concept. positive is positive and ground is ground.

If you have 4 conductor (4 + 1 braid) and providing you're not doing any coil splitting or series/parallel schemes, it will also work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3way imp switch TL.jpeg 
Views:	249 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	33030
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...