Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Guitar. TL1 with bigsby

i have sanded it back, get ready for the roughest guitar of the month coming soon!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It's funny, but sometimes these setbacks result in something even better than the original plan, so don't write it off just yet.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

more questions on my disastercaster.. i can't figure out the wiring for the input. I have soldered the pick ups but for the input there is 3 wires hanging left. Green, black and white. Which one is hot wire for the tip of the input which is earth for the input and which is the bridge grounding?

Technically, it's the output, not an input. We really need pictures, as wire colours alone mean nothing here, as we don't know what the factory have used.

But there should be one wire coming from the volume pot, and that connects to the tip contact on the jack. Then you've probably got two wires soldered to the back of a pot, Either of them can go to the ground connection on the jack socket, so if they are similar lengths, then do what feels best as to which one goes to the jack and which one grounds the bridge.

The front of my bigsby seems to be missing some metal caps. In the photo you can see its just the plastic bits and metal. It's like that on both sides. If it is supposed to be like that, its very ugly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87792778_554314312110535_3281316660086046720_n.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	502.0 KB 
ID:	33971

The front of my bigsby seems to be missing some metal caps. In the photo you can see its just the plastic bits and metal. It's like that on both sides. If it is supposed to be like that, its very ugly.
    To be fair, the bridge included in the kit is a "Bigsby-style" vibrato and stated as such in the kit description. A genuine USA-made Bigsby would cost nearly as much (or more) than the price of the entire kit.

I'm not saying it isn't less aesthetically pleasing than the real deal, but we have to be realistic at the same time.

On the plus side, it looks like your finish came up alright despite your earlier issues.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

had the pick ups working. put everything together fucked around with intonation forever. plug it in... nothing. oh flip. gotta go back and open her up.

this is what it looks like so far for anyone interested Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88180688_218327552646359_5756418407675199488_n.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	34008

it's a lot pinker in person too

Probably a signal wire touching the copper shielding. I recently had a pot rotate and cause something similar to happen.

With that headstock it looks very muck like a Vox/Fender hybrid, with a touch of Gretsch from the fret markers.

ha! I didn't know they weren't supposed to touch the copper shielding. I just kinda shoved it all in and shut up shop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast