Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's 3rd Scratch Build

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Noice and Toidy, very noice.
    Cheers mate. If only my finishing skills were at the level of my soldering and wiring I'd be happy haha.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Cheers mate. If only my finishing skills were at the level of my soldering and wiring I'd be happy haha.

I’d settle for proficiency in either aspect, rather than the happy accidents that seem to be the ‘Lab standard.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Yes, very neat work. Good on ya!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Nice.

Just use a meter to check that there's continuity between the copper tape and the silver scratchplate shielding. That silver stuff often has a plastic coating on the back, so doesn't give continuity. In that case, just run some copper up to under a pot.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I love your meticulous wiring. Mine always resemble the on street power poles in Bangkok.

Recently I took the rear panel off my G&L that I rewired 7 years ago. I was somewhat shocked by the sordid mess I left for future me all those years ago. It's probably connected to why I get some electrical interference.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Good advice from Simon.
    I usually go right over it just to be safe. I've also found that the conductivity of the silver stuff can be hit or miss, but I suppose it depends on where you got it (Genuine Fender? Unbranded MIC off ebay?).
    You can remove it, but it seems to really stay stuck so just easier to cover it with copper.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Nice.

Just use a meter to check that there's continuity between the copper tape and the silver scratchplate shielding. That silver stuff often has a plastic coating on the back, so doesn't give continuity. In that case, just run some copper up to under a pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Good advice from Simon.
    I usually go right over it just to be safe. I've also found that the conductivity of the silver stuff can be hit or miss, but I suppose it depends on where you got it (Genuine Fender? Unbranded MIC off ebay?).
    You can remove it, but it seems to really stay stuck so just easier to cover it with copper.
    Yeh there are no issues with the silver stuff on this pickguard. I've checked between the copper tape and the silver and between the copper tape and the ground on the pots and there don't appear to be any problems.

Mentor
    Trying to come up with a headstock design may well be one of the most difficult things. It needs to be original and aesthetically pleasing and not a copy of something that is already out there.

I had an idea and drew it up but now I think it looks a bit tacky. Back to the drawing board (literally).

What? No show & tell???

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    What? No show & tell???
    Haha I've already tossed it.

I'm also on the fence about my inlay idea as well. My favourite inlays by far are the PRS birds. But I'm reluctant to copy them because even though these builds are based off production models I'd like to put my own twist on them.

So I thought given the timbers are all Australian that maybe I'd try and incorporate something iconic Australian and do something like the PRS birds but with Kangaroo silhouettes. But I'm concerned that will look tacky as well.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast