Thread: Newbie Wiring needing help! No sound when attaching ground wire to jack [ATL-1SB]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calum-gathergood View Post
    Ok I think I have a wire that has a central core attached to the pot, funnily enough it appears that the other end is partially stripped and tinned so I'll just need to cut it shorter.
    NO!
    Don't do that.
    The blue earth wire needs to be taken off the output jack completely, and that stripped tinned shield wire soldered in its place.

BTW, as a general tip, I don't suggest lightly connecting the wires for testing. Connect them up as you mean to leave them.
    Several reasons, but among them are
    Once you have it working you really don't want to take it apart again and maybe get it wrong the second time.
    It tends to be a lot more fiddly to reconnect wires that have already been soldered to tags that have already been soldered.
    Modern plastic based components are prone to melt if overheated, so the fewer times you solder to them the better.
    Connecting up less neatly for testing means its more likely something will go wrong.
    Last edited by JimC; 09-12-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass