Thread: Wiring Help: 2 P90's, One Volume, 3 Way selector, DPDT tone switch instead of Pot

Wiring Help: 2 P90's, One Volume, 3 Way selector, DPDT tone switch instead of Pot

I want to have a one master volume, and since I never use my tone knob and leave it at 10, so I'd prefer to swap the tone knob out completely, but to give me some tonal options I think a DPDT switch could be handy with a couple different resistor values simulating a 500k pot at 10, 7 & 4... I can't seem to find any diagrams for this online.

Hi and welcome.

One option will be to use an ON-OFF-ON switch (as opposed to an ON-ON-ON switch).

Here's the basic switch configuration:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	33028

Here's my badly marked up diagram to show what could be done:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	33029

The '10' position is in the middle where you've got a 470k resistor to represent a fully-on pot.

The 'down' switch position is the '7' position where you've got the 470k resistor and the 150k resistor in parallel to give roughly 118k ohms total.

The 'up' switch position is the '4' position where you've got the 470k resistor and the 30k resistor in parallel to give roughly 28k ohms total.

One side of the middle set of poles is connected to the input (or output) of the volume pot (as any tone pot would be), and the other side is connected to the capacitor of your choice (I've used a normal Gibson 0.022uF value, but you can go higher or lower if you want).

It may physically be easier to have the capacitor in-between the volume pot and the switch, with the other centre pole connected directly to ground. It doesn't matter which is first when you have a capacitor and resistor in series.

Unfortunately you can't have the switch in the up or down position for the '10' position with this method, as you'd need a negative value resistor.

Sweet, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man!

That's a great solution Simon, good on ya!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I was thinking rotary switch, but this is way simpler.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk