Thread: Warmoth Bass Build

Warmoth Bass Build

Not a Pitbull build but I do have a new project that I could use some input from you experts on. It’s a fretless 6 string bass from Warmoth. The body is walnut and the neck is canary with a pau ferro board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Liked by: PJSprog

I’m planning an oil finish for the body. I’ve used tru oil on ash and liked the result, but I’m thinking Danish oil for this one. No grain fill.

I’m not sure about the neck. I don’t think I need a finish on it but I’m not sure if I need anything on the fretboard.

I’m also going to try my hand at making a wooden bridge and truss rod cover. I’m thinking ebony for both. Anyone here ever build a wooden bridge?

Nice looking bass!

Danish Oil and TruOil are very similar products that use polymerising oils. TruOil is linseed oil based, whilst Danish Oil can be tung oil or linseed oil based depending on the manufacturer.

I'd apply some to the back of the neck to stop it getting dirty quickly. Once dirt gets into the wood, it's hard to get out without sanding it down.

You'd treat Pau Ferro like Rosewood, so just apply an occasional wipe of lemon oil or boiled linseed oil.

No wooden bridge experience here, I'm afraid.

5. Liked by: BJMtz

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Nice looking bass!

Danish Oil and TruOil are very similar products that use polymerising oils. TruOil is linseed oil based, whilst Danish Oil can be tung oil or linseed oil based depending on the manufacturer.

I'd apply some to the back of the neck to stop it getting dirty quickly. Once dirt gets into the wood, it's hard to get out without sanding it down.

You'd treat Pau Ferro like Rosewood, so just apply an occasional wipe of lemon oil or boiled linseed oil.

No wooden bridge experience here, I'm afraid.
    Good info on the oils. I’m going to go to a woodworking store tomorrow and check out what they have. Whatever I choose for the body should be good for the neck too?

8. Liked by: BJMtz