Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help with wiring trembucker and super 2 distortion in ST-1

Great thankyou, i think i will now start from all new.

Also i noticed on the north and south of the switch from the factory there is a terminal that is wired to ground , do i replicate this on the new switch?
    (purple arrow in pic)

Thankyou
    Mark

pic of ground purple arrow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191204_171524 (1).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	32940

Also i noticed on the north and south of the switch from the factory there is a terminal that is wired to ground , do i replicate this on the new switch?
    ^^^^
    Yes

If you think of the switching circuit the same as a tele, the diagram below uses an 3-way "import" switch and is easy to follow. Since your not splitting coils, you can think of the HB's as just having 2 leads. 1 positive, 1 negative.
    Wire the HB's just like the SC's in the diagram and you'll be right. The only change is that you'll be using 500k pots instead of the 250k shown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3way imp switch TL.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	32948

I hope that helps and doesn't add to any confusion.

Cheers,
    Mick
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Awesome , giving it a go now .
    Thanks all most helpful.
    Mark

Hi just another question,
    Looking at my bridge pickup on another guitar a TL-1 kit.
    I replaced the bridge pickup with a fender one, underneath it has a blue ground wire that goes to a little plate that touches the bridge plate then out again.
    I imagine this grounds the bridge plate?
    I also put a neck humbucker in it and wired it all as per the diagram above.
    I just realised when installing the input jack, i ran the ground wire from the back of the volume pot to the correct side of the input jack, but i also ran another wire again from the back of the volume pot to the ground of the input jack (so ive doubled up the ground.)
    Can i leave this or will it cause problems, its not to much hassle i just have to take it apart again.

Thanks Mark

Also in regards to the ST-1, when connecting the ground to the bridge plate ( i have a hardtail bridge so no trem) it is chrome plated, do i have to scratch the chrome off before soldering? Or can i put the wire around a bridge plate screw?

Thanks Mark
    Last edited by Froffy; 09-12-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Froffy View Post
    Also in regards to the ST-1, when connecting the ground to the bridge plate ( i have a hardtail bridge so no trem) it is chrome plated, do i have to scratch the chrome off before soldering? Or can i put the wire around a bridge plate screw?

Thanks Mark
    The application of chrome is referred to as 'electroplating', would lead me to believe that it's conductive already.
    But then again, with most of my posts, someone will come along with a contrary viewpoint.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    The application of chrome is referred to as 'electroplating', would lead me to believe that it's conductive already.
    But then again, with most of my posts, someone will come along with a contrary viewpoint.

cheers, Mark.
    HI, i should have put in my post, that i was reading you need to scratch the chrome off, as its vey hard to solder to chrome and you need the bare metal for it to adhere .

...i was reading you need to scratch the chrome off, as its vey hard to solder to chrome and you need the bare metal for it to adhere.
    ...do i have to scratch the chrome off before soldering? Or can i put the wire around a bridge plate screw?

The ground wire to/from the hardtail bridge doesn't need to be soldered. It only needs to make solid metal to metal contact with the plate.

The way I ground a hardtail is:
    strip off about 15-20mm of insulation from your ground wire > slightly splay the copper strands so they are thin & flat > tin the strands well with solder > stick the tinned wire into one of the bridge mounting screw holes (enough so about 1cm is in the hole and the rest will lay flat under the bridge plate) > mount your bridge with the screws making sure one screw makes contact with the tinned wire in the hole > use your multimeter to test for continuity between the bridge and the other end of the ground wire > done...
    That wire isn't going anywhere and will maintain a good solid connection for all eternity

I should have mentioned that this is presuming you already have a hole drilled in the body underneath the bridge for the ground wire.

This is just me and the way I do it. I'm sure others do it differently that work just as well.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Ok great thanks .
    Yes there is a hole for the ground wire in the body.
    And also as i already have a few wires grounded to the back of my volume pot, can i conect the bridge ground to the ground of the input jack? (there is a ground wire from the volume pot to the input jack already) or just make a new solder point on the volume pot.?

Thanks Mark
    Last edited by Froffy; 10-12-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast