Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swamp Ash Bodies

Swamp Ash Bodies

We've found a supplier for genuine Northern US Swamp Ash bodies.

Thing is, they are quite expensive. A 2 piece ST or TL body (Center-joined) would list for AU$200-215 (depending on the exchange rate at the time we paid).

Considering this is more than most of our complete kits, what do you think? How does this price compare to other sellers who offer genuine Swamp Ash bodies?

Here's some images they supplied of 3 piece bodies. The third image image has a 6mm thick flame maple veneer (not 0.6mm), which would cost around AU$275.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swamp.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	32914

What do you think?
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Please stop tempting me, I've only just settled the domestic aggravation by shaving off the Movember growth :-)

That Tele body looks stunning

3. Liked by: christodav

Very nice. I'd consider purchasing one of these at the suggested price.

Quote Originally Posted by TZK321 View Post
    Very nice. I'd consider purchasing one of these at the suggested price.
    Note that's that's almost certainly just the body price, not a full kit.

They do look good. In the UK I can get a decent 3-piece swamp ash T-style body for £110 for a 3-piece, £132 for 2-piece and £220 for a 1-piece.

Probably not a huge difference in body price after shipping, duty and taxes

https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collec...20262044368966

You'd probably want to get some reasonable hardware for a kit based on that body.

Adam, would you be able to put a full Tele kit together, say using Tonerider pickups, Grover tuners and a Wilkinson string-through bridge?

I think the price is OK. But, will it have the right F...-er dimensions?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Olle - Ramones nut from Sweden

If I had someone ask for a specific commission, I’d consider one, but at that price I may also consider a scratch built one.
    should I wish to make myself another ST for personal use then one might get a run.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Note that's that's almost certainly just the body price, not a full kit.
    That's alright. If/when I build another guitar I plan to reuse as much as I can from my current guitar to cut down on price. I'm not sure if I can reuse the neck but I can certainly reuse everything else i.e. tuners, pickups etc. That will lower the total cost significantly......and make it easier to explain to the wife.

9. Liked by: ONSatan

I agree that there may be a market for a upgraded/premium kit. Better Wood, pickups and components

IMO those prices are reasonable for quality timber assuming their routing is pretty accurate. It's such a shame the Aussie timber industry concentrates so much on pine and other cheap construction timbers. We've got some awesome tonewoods but they tend to be quite expensive and almost always "special" order. My brother lives in Florida and he can get a huge range of timbers over the counter at his local hardware.

IMO those prices are reasonable for quality timber assuming their routing is pretty accurate.
    I agree. High quality Alder ST bodies from Japan are around the $200AU mark, so 200 for proper Swamp Ash is probably as good as you're going to get here. (providing there is precision to the routing etc. as previously stated)

2-3 piece unfinished Swamp Ash bodies from GFS come in over 200 because of stupid expensive shipping costs they charge. And anything from Warmoth (premium quality IMO) will put you into $400 range (exchange rate, gst, shipping).

Even after living here 22 years, it still sh*ts me that guitar hardware, timber and gear are still so expensive here.
    Admittedly, prices have improved since 1997.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast