Thread: January 2020 GOTM

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Snakebyted Ken Lawrence inspired explorer

Greetings form Finland forum,

Here is my first pitbull kit build.

It started as an EXM-1 with a custom electronics cavity and a blank headstock. My inspiration on this build was Ken Lawrence explorer as a colour reference and ESP snakebyte as a headstock reference but with a more traditional explorer body shape. I also updated all the hardware (gotoh tuners, gotoh stringholder/bridge, black pickup selector, new jack/jackplate, push/pull pots wired to a 50's style gibson wiring with a series/parallel switching for the SD Distortion/59 pickups). I ended up using the pitbull bone nut because I didn't find a good black alternative locally.

The colour was a result of trial and error. I first filled the grain with some wood filler and then mixed some water based stains from three different colours and finally found the right combination. And after this I finished the guitar using Liberon finishing oil and liberon bison wax. It's not that resistant to dings but the finish has a nice satin feel and looks awesome.

Set up went suprisingly well as this was my first set neck build. I levelled/re-shaped the frets and filed the string slots on the nut and got it intonated nicely.

This was a very nice experience for me and I'm really pleased to the pitbull kit and the final result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	33322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close2.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	33324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headstock.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	33325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	33326
    Last edited by Monn1; 19-01-2020 at 02:43 PM.

2. Liked by: gpjt, matthew