Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: January 2020 GOTM

First build

Here is a bit of my story that will help explain some of my choices as to how I finished this HBB-5.
    About 41/2 years back I ran into some serious health issues and was told by my cardiologist that I would most likely not live more that another 4 years. Since then I am unable to work and found myself sitting around just bored out of my mind. Depression set in and I decided I needed something to occupy my time and mind. I had lost about everything I ever had and realized that once I’m gone, I really had nothing to pass on to my daughter that really would be a true reminder to her and to the grandkids that I may never know, as to who I was. I love guitars and have about a dozen or so in my collection. I play around with the Bass a bit, but am a much better collector than musician. I decided to build this Bass simply to pass down once I’m no longer here.

I served on a volunteer ambulance for 23 yeas as well as worked for 2 fire departments for 20+ years each and even though I can no longer do the job, it will always be a huge part of who I am (reason for the pic of me on the back). Also, I have always had a love for gambling, especially Texas Hold ‘me. In one pic it shows a little ladybug in the finish (my daughters nickname since birth).

It’s far from perfect and it was over a year to finally get it done, but I know it will one day mean the world to my Ladybug, and hopefully a bunch more family that I may not be able to meet here on earth, but will be watching from above (if that’s how that works, anyways)

Thanks for lookn

Not sure the photos are uploading right, so I hope they show up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F65A6E6-BCC6-4616-913D-2822378A52A6.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	443.7 KB 
ID:	33391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4793CD01-1E00-4832-8C7D-12421F3B5E9B.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	408.8 KB 
ID:	33392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89C4C910-B0E3-49C8-8B1E-859E09DB2E32.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	33393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3039A42-9603-4633-8FFE-C44CC0F0CD8B.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	33394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69BB26EE-14B3-42A4-BC57-7A862ADF09CA.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	384.1 KB 
ID:	33395  

Last edited by AJ4420!; 26-01-2020 at 09:23 AM.

A few more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50636CEB-776D-46CA-934F-F05B04C057BF.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	33396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B28B11C9-AFAE-4A01-BA73-D9E851EF09F0.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	33397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C941574B-BC79-48EF-8C4A-9A1216F30984.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	336.5 KB 
ID:	33398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD59FA06-9CDD-45E9-A7A9-9EDF50722594.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	426.0 KB 
ID:	33399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B6D42E94-CC3A-4E5F-9658-3A56B8270FF2.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	33400  

Lots of customisations. I like the inlays. I gather you have it tuned EADGC?

Yes, I have a Warwick 5 string that is strung BEADG and I never use the B, ever. So I thought I’d change it up a bit.

Hello,

This is the flying V I just finished earlier this month. If you saw my build diary, you know that I had wanted a flying V for ages, but I did not want a heavy metal looking one, so I based this very closely on a lot of the bling of the king. . . Albert King, that is. I had built and rebuilt guitars in the past, but this was my first go with a set neck. I am happy to say it turned out great and not only that, I learned a whole lot in the process. Since I am so pleased with the way it plays and feels, I am certain to upgrade the pups. I would go a bareknuckles PG set in my dreams. I recognize the imperfections, but I just call em birthmarks. Lots of love to the community!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v guitar.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	406.0 KB 
ID:	33511 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V body.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	507.0 KB 
ID:	33512 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backdone.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	33513

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	33514 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backstock.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	516.0 KB 
ID:	33515

Its a really nice Flying V, maybe I need to do one for me also one day. I like the style on yours a lot.

Really cool looking builds you guys! It's gonna be a tough competition....
    Last edited by Monn1; 30-01-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Comp closed - got one submission via email - after end Jan - so I'll kick of next month's with it.

OK votes and comments are in:

Hindsightboy’s SH-1 -
    Love the carbon fibre look of the guitar – struggling with the silver tape though, but appreciate that you’d need something to finish the wrap somehow… Savage reshaping, how’s the balance? Overall nice outcome though!
    love the carbon fibre finish but the new shape isn't practical, you haven't got much for your elbow to lean on if using a strap. I would have preferred some rounded shapes instead of a straight cut line.
    love the clean look of the carbon fibre skin, good choice for the radical body cut.
    not my style of guitar, but it is very hard to go past in a store, definite wow factor
    Conflicted. I like the finish effect, but I struggle with the body mods. I feel they could have been a bit more “organic”.

Monn1's EXM-1 -
    Love the clean lines – headstock really does it for me – seems to really fit this build. Great looks – classic and clean! Hope it’s as much fun to play as it looks!
    great choice of upgrades and electronics
    very nice clean look, done great justice to the timber choice, I am a sucker for Explorers though
    like the headstock shape, but marks off for no logo
    clean looking explorer finish looks nice
    Finish looks really smooth & neat. Well done!

Tassieaxeman's TL-1TB -
    Nice outcome and timing – just before Australia day. Back looks striking to me, but I can appreciate the work on the front. Great work!
    Nice upgrades and custom pickguard.
    the finishes on the front and back look to be very well done but for me the two very different colours clash a bit, although i understand the theme you were going with, in the end these are personal guitars and it's built to have meaning for you.
    would have been good to see a headstock logo too
    finish looks good, plenty of gloss. You will get better scores from judges with a clear focused photo !
    Great job! I might have gone with a few less colours on there - chrome, black, white and blue, but it looks really well done.

JBuller7's ES-1 -
    Love the looks of this guitar! Aged patina on the copper and the strap really work well… Nice attention to detail with the truss rod cover and binding on the headstock as well… Back and sides do the top justice and stay out of the way to some extent and give the front a chance to shine. Love the work!
    Wow factor that i can go past, really love the distressed finish and appreciate all the work that goes into one like that.
    great work on the binding, very clean
    love the custom truss rod and celtic themed control knobs
    good upgrades and wiring
    cant really fault this build at all other than no headstock logo on the guitar as presented
    I know this isn’t to everyone’s liking, but it is to mine. It’s unique and I love the effect.
    like the copper look and the knobs go really well with the effect. Needs a headstock logo to say you built it.

JSNKC28's ESP-1 -
    Nice work – hard to judge many of the aspects as we need a couple more photos, but overall the outcome looks good. Glad you’re happy with it – faults and all!
    would have been good to see a few more photos and some detail in the build diary as it is a bit hard to get a real feel for the work you have put in.
    Like the shape and the finish looks good, but not a huge fan of the colour, might just be the dye type used or the photos not doing it justice.
    like most other guitars this month, lacking the finishing touches like headstock decals.
    Love the colour, but I had to deduct some points because you didn’t post all the required pictures.
    you are supposed to enter more photos for the judges. The blue stain looks great. Is the headstock a lighter blue than the body ? might be the way the photo has come out.

Piece's AIB-1Q -
    Nice quilted top and finish is immaculate. Great matching of hardware with the body and overall outcome is stunning. Great guitar!
    Great job! Amazing finish! I probably would have gone with a trussrod cover, as you need to have an immaculate trussrod cavity to let it out it on display.
    love the finish and the gloss you achieved. Very cool looking axe well done
    -like the headstock shape and logo, could possible do with a truss rod cover for me. Tuners and finish look great, really highlight the cap brilliantly
    great colour scheme and really well done burst as they are very hard to get right
    good choice of upgrade and a very well finished understated guitar, looks like a great player.

AJ4420's HBB-5 -
    Have always struggled with the matching of images / paper with a finish and (personal feelings only) the back doesn’t quite do it for me. Front however does – and that’s what most will see – great work! Theme does come together nicely – and has a great meaning – can certainly get that! Hope it plays well!
    love the story behind this build- this is the reason we all build our own guitars, to give them a personal touch and meaning.
    like the theme very clear direction on where you are going, very nice work on the designs on the top, would be good to hear how it was done in your build diary.
    some bits a little bit busy for my taste, the playing cards on the reverse of the headstock and input jack detracted on the overall look for me, but i understand this is a build that has a lot of personal meaning and is important to you.
    Amazing job on the finish and the adornments. I hope it becomes the heirloom you hope for it.
    love the 'cards' style theme, the fret markers look cool. A unique build for sure glad you are happy with it !

Dotted's FV-1 -
    Stunning finish – almost feels a shame to hide the flame under the pickguard. Wood pickguard looks nice – but part of me feels its out of synch with the rest of the feel of the guitar. That said – gloss looks amazing!
    Lovely work on the subtle colour scheme, blends in really well, quite a different choice from most Flying V's out there
    nice choice of hardwear
    custom truss rod and pickguard look good
    great job on the binding, looks nice and clean
    points off for no headstock logo
    little bit hard to fully appreciate due to the photos supplied
    nicely finished flying V, what sort of timber is the pickguard has some nice figure ! Next time take a bit more care with the tuner alignments !
    Your own personal “Lucy”. Great job. There are a few areas that could be blemishes or reflections, so I’m saying they’re reflections. The finish seems good to me, and I like the Lucy style LP headstock. Do you play left handed, but strung right handed like Big Al used to?

So - runner up: Piece's AIB-1Q

And the winner - all the judges loved the aged patina of JBuller7's ES-1
    Well done!

11. Liked by: PJSprog

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast