Thread: djb's flying V build diary

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

djb's flying V build diary

Greetings all.

Entry one: Getting started!

My first real guitar was a harmony flying V. A couple summers later, I had traded it to big chief's pawnshop for some other guitar that I thought looked cooler. Since then, really, I have had this nagging desire to have a V again. I even tried a couple of times to buy a harmony just like I had, but I finally decided to build one. I always thought that Albert King's flying V with the LP headstock looked pretty sweet too, so I would start there. Obviously not the same woods, but just the unique look. Aside from King, I cant think of any such Vs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	djb harmony V.jpeg 
Views:	603 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	32871

So, after much deliberating I decided to do this custom kit here with pitbull. It is not much different than the FV 1 G kit. The differences are, mahogany body and neck, dots no blocks, set neck, LP headstock, and finally ferrules rather than V plate. I didn't want the veneer, but somehow I failed to specify this specifically and got it anyway. Sadly, it is blistering already perhaps due to the tropics. Has anyone ever successfully removed the veneer? If so, I would love to know how it was done. Otherwise I am over the moon. See me go!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom 1119  (22).jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	32870
    Last edited by doltex; 30-11-2019 at 04:33 AM.