Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Irish ES-1 / 335 Copper Top

What a fantastic finish, well done !
    I would hate to be sat somewhere thinking to myself 'finished my Pitbull, I think I'll
    enter it in the February GOTM' and not seen your posts on this guitar...…..

Thanks Fatboy.
    It got the sh1t played out of it at practice tonight and sounded fantastic at high volume. 3 hours later and still in tune. The other guitarist (gibson les paul) may be making a pitbull purchase soon he was that impressed 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    IMO those string butler things are a solution looking for a problem. The key to stable tuning is all about having properly cut nut slots. Invest in a good set of nut files and you'll have guitars that stay in tune quite happily. If the nut is poorly cut or too narrow for the string (a problem I encountered on my 2018 LP Classic Gold Top) then you'll have tuning problems regardless of what additional hardware you fit.

There are no tuning stability problems at all on my Gibsons (3x LP, 1 x Flying V, 1 x Firebird and 1 x CW acoustic) or my other guitars with Gibson style headstocks. The Gibson style headstock design will certainly exacerbate the problems of a badly cut nut, but cut that nut correctly and there is no problem to make worse.
    It's not just string slots not cut as well as they could be, it can, and usually is a combination of things.
    Gibson's slanted headstock, combined with the offset tuning pegs are notorious for being a major cause of tuning instability, if you add less than best practice when stringing them up your not going to solve the problem.
    There is a YouTube video of Wes Montgomery famously complaining that his Gibson L5 it constantly going out of tune, so it happens to the best of them, and has been a well known problem with Gibson slanted headstock designs

I've got a 1978 ES347 that stays in tune pretty well, how much it having a Brass nut has to do with it I'm not sure.
    I've also got a Hummingbird that doesn't suffer tuning problems either, but then again I don't tend to do a great deal of string bending on it TBH.

I've also got a SG, that despite having a perfectly cut nut tends to go out of tune after two fret string bends, and that's after applying Nut Sauce Graphic lubricant....I'm sort of suspecting the Kluson tuners are at fault on this guitar.

Thankfully I have no issues so far and long may it continue

Just added this to the audio / video section but here are the links to the demo. Big bends and still holding tune... mostly
    https://youtu.be/jbEOl9mOSnM - just noodling
    https://youtu.be/e6XimJfJnqE - pickup demo
    start - 0.41 - Neck
    0.41 - 0.58 - both (split bridge)
    0.58 - 1.24 - both (humbucker bridge)
    1.24 - 1.51 - bridge (split)
    1.51 - 2.16 - bridge (humbucker)

Nice sounds, and it looks really good.

If you use the 'insert video' on the toolbar, and then delete the 's' from 'https' in the link before accepting and posting, you can directly embed one video per post.

e.g.

Oh ok thanks Simon. Videos were over 300MB each so didn't even try a direct upload.

You can't upload videos directly to the site, but you can embed them so that you get the preview and don't need to go to the YouTube site first.

But (like most forum sites) any secure link using HTTPS (as opposed to an unsecure HTTP) won't work, so you need to delete the 'S' from the end, to use an 'unsecure' link.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7