Thread: adjusting the truss rod

adjusting the truss rod

HI,
    Just got my bass strung for the first time. Panicked for a second, thought I had the bridge in the wrong position but eventually got it adjusted ok.
    I need to file down the nut a bit but first I need to adjust the truss rod...
    My neck is flat as, so needs to curve a bit. Do I screw in or out?...I have wound it in a bit but I can't see any change, should I be going in?...and how sensitive should it be, 1/4 turn likely to be enough?...it feels tight...

Thanks,
    Jez

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hey, so looking down the neck toward the body of the guitar- turning the truss rod clock wise will make the neck bend backward or concave, so the middle part of the neck is higher than the heel and head stock ends. The PBG guitars have two way truss ross so turning it counter clock wise will make it convex, or the middle part of the neck is lower than the heel or headstock ends.

A 1/4 turn at a time is a good idea, but you need to give it a little time after each adjustment to settle down. You should also back off string tension when adjusting, that might help with tightness.

Setting up a guitar, especially a fresh one, takes a bit of time. After getting everything in the ball park, you need to creep up on the setup using small adjustments.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

thank you.......

Does anyone know a good rhyme to remember which to turn the truss rod?
    Lefty loosey righty tighty has served me well over the years for other applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Does anyone know a good rhyme to remember which to turn the truss rod?
    Lefty loosey righty tighty has served me well over the years for other applicants.
    Works for truss rods as well.

You just need to remember that tightening it first straightens the neck, then adds back-bow as you continue.