Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tele bridge grounding

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Picture of broken wire.
    Yes, that looks broken! Have you fixed it? You said that you've reassembled it.

If not, it's possible to solder another bit of wire between that and the ground wire connection, though it will be very fiddly to do. You'll first need to push the red and black wires all the way back up through the hole in the baseplate, then unsolder the black wire and suck all the solder out of the hole. Then solder a thin bit of wire to the broken coil wire (hardest bit when its so thin). Heat from the soldering iron and solder should burn off the wire's insulation.

Then put the other end through the hole, put the black wire back in the hole as well, then solder it back up. The baseplate will probably be connected to the black ground wire as well, either directly, or via a short wire link, so make sure that's all electrically connected.

Then push the red and black wires back down through the centre hole and you should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    The knot in the bridge wire...
    I have to ask: what is the "knot in the bridge wire trick"?

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I have to ask: what is the "knot in the bridge wire trick"?
    Just drilling a hole just wide enough and deep enough where the bridge wire hole comes out that's big enough to hold a small knot on the bridge wire itself, so that the wire can't get pulled back too far when you're soldering the other end to the back of a pot and/or getting rid of any excess slack. Also works for trapeze tailpieces if you drill a small hole for them under the end plate and then a slightly wider deeper one for a knot.

You certainly don't need to do it, but it does make fitting the grounding wire a bit more foolproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    ...it's all fairly obvious.
    A lot of really great and inventive ideas are obvious in hindsight. It is the having them in foresight that requires ingenuity and creativity, and that would make a sticky thread most useful.

I have a Google docs file where I try to keep good ideas I don't want to forget. Simon has a few threads there. I have now used the veneer trick so many times I don't need to refer to it anymore.

Or more succinctly, it ain't obvious if it wouldn't occur to you without someone pointing it out ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

When in doubt, earth.
    Almost every guitar wiring problem is an earth problem.
    Every pot has to be earthed, sheilding has to be earthed.
    Auto electrics are the same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3