Thread: Neck pocket dimensions for 30” scale bass

Neck pocket dimensions for 30” scale bass

Hi all!

I’m considering ordering a tele bass kit (TLB-4M, regular 34 inch scale) and marrying it’s body with the neck of the DMS-4 kit (30” scale). I know I will have to adjust the bridge placement 😉

Are the neck heel dimensions of those 2 kits the same? The Fender Mustang bass neck pocket is 2.25” wide versus 2.5 for the standard scale Fender basses...

Thanks for your help!

Hi there, I'm afraid the TLB has a square pocket and the DMS has a round heel, so this won't work.
    You can custom order this for the price of the TLB-4M, contact customshop@pitbullguitars.com.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

THanks Adam, I hadn't thought of the difference in neck pocket shape!

I would be very specific with any customising dimensions and anything else about the kit that you might want changed. If you need to move the bridge position forwards to get the scale length correct, then you probably don't want the bridge ground hole drilled for you as it's likely to end up exposed and ruin any chance of doing a good natural/clear finish. Not an issue if you are planning a solid colour, but a PITA if you aren't.

You'll also need to specifically state that the neck pocket needs to be routed for a 30" scale neck to avoid any ambiguity.

You've obviously noted that the body comes with no pickup rout(s). So you'll need to be proficient in routing for a pickup (or pickups) and also routing a similar shaped hole in the pickguard. You may be able to get the factory to do this for you, but you'll need to be very clear as to where you want the rout (s) made in relation to the end of the pocket. Some sort of mark-up would help.

Also note that the kit comes with a standard Telecaster control plate and 3-way switch. If you are only putting a P-bass pickup on the bass, you'll probably want to get a blank control plate so you can create your own control arrangement (possibly even active).

Thanks Simon. I'll probably have a drop Adam an e-mail to address all the questions since I'm planning to customize the dimensions to very specific parameters...

Re the neck pocket, I'm not clear yet whether the 30" and 34" scales neck pockets are different. Fender's certainly are. My preferred solution would be a 30" scale neck using a 34" neck pocket (longer neck pocket should help minimizing neck dive). I already have a spreadsheet to convert and set up all key dimensions (bridge, pickups) for Warmoth and Fender regular and short scales. Once I know the length from the nut to the end of the neck pocket for a 19-frets 30” neck, I can get all the measurements right.

I’m actually planning on using P90 pickups for the build, not sure yet whether I want to stick to a single pickup (which I reckon should be close to a split-coil voicing) or do 2 side-by-side P90s (using a bridge + middle set) to get series + parallel wiring options. Series should give a could mudbucker approximation, I’m curious about what a parallel wiring would sound like. If sticking to a single pickup I'll get a 3-holed control plate (either V/T/jack or V/Bass cut/Treble cut a la G&L).

I’ll ideally get the factory to do the routing if possible, if not that’ll be a good introduction to routing. I'll have to shape the headstock anyway.

I’m planning a solid paint finish (Createx Fastback Green metallic). I’m not so worried about the painting as I’m fairly decent with an airbrush (I’ve been using AB’s for miniature models painting for 10 years), but I don’t have buffing / polishing experience. Luckily I’m fairly patient 😊