Thread: Precision Bass wiring

Precision Bass wiring

Hi. Am new at this. Any instruction on getting the grounding wire from the pot to the bridge? It seems it needs a hole drilled from the pots to where the bridge sits, but that doesn't seem right. Much thanks. Corbs

There is normally a pre-drilled hole for this purpose. Highlighted here in red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedIMG_6894_LI.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	32749

Can you post a pic? https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=8108

If you haven't got one, then you'll need to first locate your bridge position, then get a long drill bit (300mm is a good size so you can really angle the bit down low without the drill body getting in the way) and drill from near the centre of the area into the control cavity. You can drill into the pickup rout area if that's an easier route to take.

Work out the drill angle beforehand and use a bit of card and a scrap block of wood or plastic to set up the initial drill angle. It helps to drill a wider vertical hole a few mm deep in the starting position, then you can start drilling from the side of the hole, rather than have the drill bit slide around on the top of the body. Better to drill at a shallow angle than risk drilling through the back of the guitar.

You can get sets of long drills quite cheaply. Some typical examples here:

https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=300mm+...ref=nb_sb_noss

Much thanks Simon. That's sounds good. There's no hole so I'll go by your advice. Can I ask do I solder the wire or just let the bridge sit on it? Cheers, Corbs

Make a fair length of bare wire and just sit the bridge on it. If you use a fairly thin bit of wire for the ground wire here, you can probably knot it first, so that the knot sits in the vertical hole you drilled first, which then stops the wire from being pulled too far into the cavity. Just have the exposed wire sitting on the body and you can spread the strands out so that it doesn't add any real thickness.

Brilliant thanks again. Corbs

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    "you can probably knot it first, so that the knot sits in the vertical hole you drilled first, which then stops the wire from being pulled too far into the cavity."
    That is such a good idea, and yet I have never heard it suggested before, and I certainly never thought of it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I've suggested it on drilling holes for ground wires for trapeze tailpieces. Just one of those things I came across, where the wire tended to slip when getting rid of the slack. So a knot seemed a good idea, but you can't leave it on the surface, so you need a small indent to hide it.