Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: First build - TL-1TH

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Ah, engineered rosewood, I am sure you seemed like a good idea at the time to someone...
    Beats the hell out of no rosewood... But right now I am struggling with limited skills and facilities to create a real rosewood fingerboard from a roughly sawn plank and am rapidly losing all enthusiasm for the species...
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

OK, advice needed.

I haven't sanded the edge where the clear meets the fretboard yet (just hitting the two week mark since I finished spraying). Today I noticed a small chip where the tape has lifted away a spot of clear. It was hard to get a good photo so I had to enhance the edges and draw a circle around it. The chip is about 5mm long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clear chip.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	35571

Is the best repair to mask everything but a small section around the chip, sand to feather the edges and roughen the surrounding clear, and then respray? Or is there a shortcut I could take. Really hoping for a shortcut, but not expecting one. At least waiting another two weeks to finish will give me time to complete all the pedal builds...
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Are you using acrylic lacquer? I'd just rough it up a little around the area and give it a couple of quick sprays, leaving a few minutes between each. I wouldn't tape as that will give you a hard edge you'll need to address, if you are light on with the spray it should feather and blend in fine with the existing finish.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Are you using acrylic lacquer? I'd just rough it up a little around the area and give it a couple of quick sprays, leaving a few minutes between each. I wouldn't tape as that will give you a hard edge you'll need to address, if you are light on with the spray it should feather and blend in fine with the existing finish.
    Yeah, acrylic lacquer. I will just mask the fretboard then.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Just spray and sand ans Sonic says. For cracks, I tend to use a paintbrush and dab the finish in, but if you've only got rattle cans (as opposed to a spray gun and bottles/tins of spray paint), then that's not an option.

If it was an older neck with a chip, then filling with CA and sanding and polishing would be a good option as well, but as it's all new, then might as well get it right now.

The lacquer can't have adhered well to the wood to pull away like that, so it does need roughing up within the chip to key it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    For cracks, I tend to use a paintbrush and dab the finish in, but if you've only got rattle cans (as opposed to a spray gun and bottles/tins of spray paint), then that's not an option.
    It's singularly inappropriate for me to make any comment about paint, but in other fields I've done OK spraying some paint into a little pool in a lid or something to get enough to use with a brush.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

You may have to sacrifice the brush though if you haven't got appropriate cleaners, so don't use anything expensive. Cheapest of the cheap Amazon or eBay brushes will do.

I've had luck before with a few chips. If you pool up some spray finish as mentioned before. You can drop fill it using something firm and thin. Toothpick, paperclip or some wire. Just keep dropping it in slowly till it kind of wicks its way around inside the chip and starts to fill it up. Pretty much how you would do with CA, but use the laquer itself.

So many ways to skin a cat

Thanks everyone. There was some loose lacquer still attached, so I picked that away, sanded, tack-clothed, and then resprayed the clear. If I get problems again I will probably go for the CA as I am somewhat impatient with having to wait for yet more lacquer to cure.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast