Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Transfer worked great.
    I think so. Thanks once again for your help in realising my vision.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

4. Liked by: jugglindan, phrozin

Bluey sure beats My Little Pony, which the current obsession in these parts.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Our latest craze is Super Wings. If your kids don’t know it, don’t introduce it haha

A little more progress. Neck is sprayed with 7 coats of SCA clear (acrylic lacquer):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock_sprayed.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	35230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neck_sprayed.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	35231

Now begins the long wait before I can polish the surface. The first coat raised some stray wood fibres so before applying the decal I gave a light sand with 400 grit using barely more than the weight of the paper itself. After that, the back of the neck felt fantastic so I will keep that in mind during final finish as I do prefer a satin feel when playing.

I am very happy with how the colour came up from just the clear with no stain. And the level of smooth glossiness is much better than my first attempts on the body. It should polish up nicely in a few weeks. The hard part is just letting it hang there for all that time.

There was one minor mishap when removing the tape. A small section (just 1 or 2mm next to the fretboard edge) of lacquer came away with the tape in one place near the body end of the neck, but unfortunately not where it will be inside the neck pocket. I don't want to remask everything to paint again so I thought I would try the same method I used to apply the CA. I sprayed some lacquer onto printer paper folded into a brush shape, and used that to carefully apply clear to the small area of exposed wood and smoothed it out. If I remember to sand extra carefully in that spot it might be OK. I will add another application in the same way in an hour or two.

Headstock looks great...was thinking of leaving mine like that but thought why not use stain and stuff something else up lol.
    If it aint broken...break it and build something better

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogies View Post
    Headstock looks great...was thinking of leaving mine like that but thought why not use stain and stuff something else up lol.
    I was tempted by stain too at some point, but given my ability to stuff up every process I skipped that step

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

So I took a good look at the fretboard today. The CA has really helped the feel of the board, but there are still some larger cracks and holes (mostly around the nut) that the thin CA didn't help. I think I will try filling them with more viscous CA tomorrow. The whole board could probably do with a second application of thin CA, as I think I have oversanded in some places. And the frets still have scratches in them as I was much more focused on the board itself. I don't want to sand the board any more though, so when I get to the frets I will mask again so I can finish the frets without worrying about the board.

Ah, engineered rosewood, I am sure you seemed like a good idea at the time to someone...

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast