Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pickup Winding

Mentor

Pickup Winding

I know there have been a couple threads in the past on pickup winding. But they are quite old and I thought it could be useful for anyone recently interested to create a one stop thread where people can post their own experiences winding pickups and questions can be asked and answered.

I've just recently started down the path of winding pickups.

I made a winder like this guys https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEl...BysaYvpbyYuWOg

And my first pickup was actually a DOA Tonerider Vintage Plus Neck for Tele.

Testing after winding and putting the cover on.

8052 winds of 43AWG.

And installed in my kit.

Mentor
    Cool trick for testing phase of pickup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuvBRZPpow

how does it sound?

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK321 View Post
    how does it sound?
    Sounds good to my ears. Definitely better than the kit pickup which I put in the guitar initially. I plan on winding the pickups for all my future builds after I've finished my thinline (I already have a set of toneriders for the thinline).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well done. And thanks for that link to a very useful polarity checking video. Put me off thinking about getting an old, cheap oscilloscope (for the moment at least).

@Woltz for those interested in playing around with magnet swaps etc. Where is a good (local) place to source magnets? I've seen them really only on eBay out of China and UK. Any advice there?

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    @Woltz for those interested in playing around with magnet swaps etc. Where is a good (local) place to source magnets? I've seen them really only on eBay out of China and UK. Any advice there?
    What magnets are you chasing? Bar or Rod? Alnico 2, 3, 4, 5, or Ceramic, or Neo?

@Woltz First experiment would be swapping some ceramic humbuckers over to alnico 2 or 5

What's their DC resistance reading? If its very high, even changing the magnet type may not do a great deal to sweeten the sound, even though the output is lower. But if its in the 6-8k ohm area, it could make a decent improvement. But still worth a try as you really need to discover these things for yourself. There's only so much you can gain from other people's descriptions. And even if you don't use the Alnico magnets now, you have them for later.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    @Woltz First experiment would be swapping some ceramic humbuckers over to alnico 2 or 5
    I got my Neo magnets from Frenergy who are local but my others so far I've sourced from overseas. Bar magnets suitable for humbuckers I've not stumbled across any suitable here locally. Outside of Aus there are plenty around. Although steer clear of Tone-Kraft as from what I hear they are very hit and miss with their service.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast