Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pickup Winding

Mentor
    So I measured the Tonerider Bridge pickup as well and was getting a bit too much discrepancy between my two measurements so decided to set up a circuit (https://ezcontents.org/measuring-cap...e-oscilloscope) to double check the actual capacitance of the two capacitors I have. My 680pF actually calculated to be 687pF and my 10nF calculated to be 10.5nF using the oscilloscope. After factoring in the slightly different capacitor values the Tonerider Bridge measures:

2.85H

I also edited my previous post for the neck pickup to reflect the tweaked values. The way I've done it is to take a measurement with each of the two capacitors and then average the two. The difference between the measurements from the two capacitors for the bridge pickup resulted in a 0.08H difference (2.89H and 2.81H) and the neck was 0.14H difference (2.2H and 2.34H).

Interestingly this is a good example of why resistance alone can be misleading. Both pickups measure pretty much the same resistance but you can see a notable difference in the inductance.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Looks good. And your desk reminds me of mine. I don't have a dedicated workbench so I set up electronics on the computer desk too.

Would something like Friture help with the frequency analysis. Not quite Bode plots, but you can see the frequency domain spectra in real time.
    Haha have to use what I have at my disposal. Plus given the Oscilloscope is a USB one I'm really tied to the computer desk anyway.

I'll have a look into that software, not sure if it would be useful or not.

Friture may not be useful. It does real-time analysis, but needs an audio input device to pull the data from. If the USB scope input shows up as an audio source you would be in luck. If not, it might be harder to get the data to Friture.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Normally 42AWG wire for a Tele bridge pup and 43AWG for the neck (due to the smaller physical coil size to get the windings on). So the bridge pickup, having similar DCR, will have a greater number of coil windings, and hence the greater inductance.

"The Tonerider Bridge measures 6.66k" That's 10 Antichrists packed into that bridge pickup then.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Normally 42AWG wire for a Tele bridge pup and 43AWG for the neck (due to the smaller physical coil size to get the windings on). So the bridge pickup, having similar DCR, will have a greater number of coil windings, and hence the greater inductance.

"The Tonerider Bridge measures 6.66k" That's 10 Antichrists packed into that bridge pickup then.
    Yes, but sadly it can only play Iron Maiden covers.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

I need this scope in my life
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post

Yep. I thought this was actually a really good illustration of how pickup manufacturers should be giving more information than just DCR. But I guess they are wanting to keep their recipes as secret as possible and the more information they give the easier it is to deduce number of turns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    I need this scope in my life
    It isn't bad for an entry level unit and the signal generator was ridiculously cheap.

Mentor
    Hit some confusing results this morning. So the tonerider results were very consistant.

However, I measured the Strat set that I wound and got some confusing results. This is where it would be good to see a bode plot for the pickups, as well as having a gauss meter to check the magnet strength.

Bridge
    3.34H (687pF Cap)
    2.88H (10.5nF Cap)

Middle
    3.32H (687pF Cap)
    2.73H (10.5nF Cap)

Neck
    3.15H (687pF Cap)
    2.56H (10.5nF Cap)

The relationship between the three pickups is consistent and expected as the Bridge was 8200 turns, middle was 8000 turns and neck was 7800 turns. However the inductance with the 687pF Cap in parallel with the pickup gives an inductance which is much much higher than I would expect for an AlNiCo 2 set. One possible hypothesis for this is that the capacitance of the pickups is significant enough that the 687pF Cap in parallel is too small to make the capacitance of the pickup insignificant for the purposes of the inductance calculation.

Unfortunately I don't currently have any other spare caps laying around that would be around the required value (larger than 687pF but smaller than 10.5nF) to conduct a third test. I will need to buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Unfortunately I don't currently have any other spare caps laying around that would be around the required value (larger than 687pF but smaller than 10.5nF) to conduct a third test. I will need to buy some.
    I have a bunch of caps at 1nF, 2.2nF, 3.3nF, 4.7, 6.8, 10nF. I could post you one of each, or if you live near the Weston Creek area you could pick them up from me. I am working from home, so anytime is good.

Or you could buy some from Jaycar for 10c each I guess.

DC

Mentor
    To further confuse me. I just measured my Toasters the I made for my Rick build. Both pickups measured virtually identical and both measurements for each yielded almost the same inductance.

2.28H (10.5nF)
    2.30H (687pF)

So there is something weird going on with my strat set. (Beginner) Detective work required.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast