Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build - The Ramones tribute "Mosrite"

First Build - THE Ramones tribute "Mosrite" MKA-2

Hi,
    I started this project about 6 months ago and my intention was to build THE Ramones tribute guitar.
    Ramones has been my all time favourites and the white Mosrite that Johnny played is my dream guitar.

I ordered the Pitbull MKA-2 (Ash) with a paddle head as my intention is top copy the iconic, narrow, Mosrite Ventures II slab body head.

As a sidenote, MKA-2 is made of Ash and MK-2 is made of Basswod. The real guitar that Johnny used was made of Basswood so there is no need to buy the more expensive Ash-kit IF your goal is a as similar guitar as possible (the basswod kit was not in stock when I ordered).

My mods:
    Change the bridge pickup to Dimarzio FS-1 (will start with a Seymour Duncan little 59 as I do have that at home already).
    Move the stop bar to match how Johnny had it on his guitar.
    Reshape the "paddle head" to something as close as possible to the real Mosrite Ventures II head.
    Shim the neck a tiny bit to tilt it "backwards".
    Change the plastic "pre-nut"/string guide (these kits has zero fret that do not work as intended with the provided nut) to a brass nut that I will file to get deeper grooves.
    Change the Tone control hat to a tone knob from a Gibson SG (as Johnny had on his).

Another side note, I started this project 6 months ago and when doing research on the Johnny guitar I came in contact with a guitar builder in Virgina US and that ended up with me ordering a "Mosrite" from him as well. I have not received that guitar yet but judging from the pictures of the build it is really, really something super special! IF you dream of a guitar with the real Mosrite specs, contact Aron at Alderite guitars. He is very dedicated to guitars in general and a true fanatic about Mosrites...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testbuild.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	443.7 KB 
ID:	32696  
    Last edited by ONSatan; 22-11-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Olle - Ramones nut from Sweden

Best of luck with the project! I saw the Ramones twice; Road to Ruin and End of the Century tours. Great band.

3. Liked by: ONSatan

Moved the holes for the stop bar to a more “Johnny like position”
    Spray coated the body with filler, base coat and first layers of white (note how obvious it is that I did not use filler on the part I slanted for the arm….).
    I’ve also changed the stock pickup to a Seymour Duncan Lill 59 (will later change it to a Dimarzio FS-1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge moved.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	32697
    Last edited by ONSatan; 12-11-2019 at 04:50 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outlined the headstock on the paddle head.
    Used a picture that I’ve scaled from dimensions I found on the net AND then adjusted to an average of what I could measure from pictures of Johnny’s guitar.
    The headstock on his guitar IS (I guess that at least) more narrow than most Mosrites. I guess that it is in fact even more narrow than the headstock on the modern Mosrite-copies produced as “the Romones guitar”.

Name:	Headstock.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	32698

Changed the white color to one with a bit more yellow as the first turned out to be a bit cold/ almost light blue/grey. Think it will look good! Have also changed the tone knob to one from a SG.

Next step is to apply autographs from the original members of Ramones. I will seal them on top of the guitar with clear coats.

Name:	White.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	32700

Many years ago I saw the Ramones in concert in Philadelphia, PA (USA). Great show. It took a whole day before I could hear again.

8. Liked by: ONSatan

Playing around with the signatures...

Name:	Signatures.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	449.5 KB 
ID:	32703
    Last edited by ONSatan; 12-11-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Ready for a few layers of protective clear coat. I do like it so far!

Name:	Signatures_unfinished.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	32707

Looks good to me. I like the colour change you made.

12. Liked by: ONSatan

Thanks! Yeah, it was too cold before.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast