Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Build - The Ramones tribute "Mosrite"

I’ve done some minor fixes and set-up over the weekend. The guitar is now very playable and the neck is really really nice! The finish is OK but I should have sanded more before I started painting it…

I have still some minor buzz when playing open string on the A and G string. I hope I can solve this by some more filing on the plastic nut. If not, I will buy a string retainer/string guide bar and press down all strings into the string guide before the zero fret (but, that would seriously ruin some of the design).

And, the buzz is not (off course) there when playing power cords. The intonation is (now) PERFECT! Playing a full barre chord on the 10th fret with a lot of distortion sounds as good as on any of my guitars (some high end).

I have tested both the Seymour Duncan lill 59 (a single coil sized “PAF”) and the DiMarzio FS-1 (the same as Johnny used). Using the DiMarzio gives a very “Ramones-ish” sound but I was not fully pleased. It might be the wood (Ash instead of Basswood), my Marshall or technique etc. Anyhow, I was not fully pleased. BUT, with the SD 59, WOW what a sound!

It is not the Ramones sound I was looking for, but it IS the Green Day sound of the American Idiot album to 99,99%! I have previously copied that sound using a Fender Stratocaster with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, reaching a very similar sound but not as similar as I have with this guitar. Might post a sample/video later.

I will keep the provided mini humbucker as it sounds pretty nice, looks good, AND, will not be used that much…

So, as I have an Alderite “Mosrite” coming from US, my original plan was to make a “wall hanger Ramones tribute” out of this axe, BUT, now it will live as THE Green Day guitar (with the signatures of the original Ramones members in the finish).
    Last edited by ONSatan; 25-11-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Olle - Ramones nut from Sweden

I think that building a guitar that sounds and plays too good to hang on the wall is a great result!

3. Liked by: ONSatan

Btw, found THE method for polishing the neck to a silk smooth, non-sticky finish:

1. Sand lightly/very lightly with 320
    2. Wetsand lightly with 500
    3. Wetsand lightly with 1500
    4. Polish with the center puck of a floor pad (like a scotch brite but less aggressive)
    5. Wipe off and enjoy a fantastic surface (the neck was previously spray coated 3 times with an acrylic clear coat)

Did the same on some other guitars and the result is fantastic!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ONSatan View Post
    Btw, found THE method for polishing the neck to a silk smooth, non-sticky finish:

1. Sand lightly/very lightly with 320
    2. Wetsand lightly with 500
    3. Wetsand lightly with 1500
    4. Polish with the center puck of a floor pad (like a scotch brite but less aggressive)
    5. Wipe off and enjoy a fantastic surface (the neck was previously spray coated 3 times with an acrylic clear coat)

Did the same on some other guitars and the result is fantastic!
    Thank you, now I know what I am going to do on my neck :-) counting down days here, has been almost 2 weeks ago since spray, want to wait aitleast 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Thank you, now I know what I am going to do on my neck :-) counting down days here, has been almost 2 weeks ago since spray, want to wait aitleast 3 weeks.
    Good luck!

Btw, are you using acrylic (modern car spray) or what? Do you know how long time it will take for it to be fully hardened?
    (My guitar is still not hardened fully and I get marks from wall hanger, clip on tuner etc unless I'm very careful)

If you've used the same product type for all finish layers (e.g. all acrylic, all poly or all nitro), then it should be pretty much fully cured (the stage after drying) after 4 weeks or so.

However this can take longer if it's cold or very humid. Or if it's a very thick finish. Having the guitar somewhere where air can blow over it helps a lot. And medium, rather than excessive warmth. Putting it in direct sunlight to dry isn't a great idea. You need some shade at least.

But if you've put one finish type over another type, then you may get a situation where the finish never really dries hard at all. I had that on a Telecaster-style body made by a friend and given to me. The surface was dry to touch, but it was still a part-liquid underneath. Some finish combinations are fine, some aren't.

The finish is now dry enough to have the guitar laying in the hanger without getting marks.

But, as the feeling and sound turned out as good as it did, I will not place it there “forever”. I will use this guitar! It is actually very good.

What do you think of my Ramones “altar”?
    (Btw, did another minor change since last picture, the switch is now exchanged to a switch white a white tip)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramones_Pitbul.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	32977

11. Liked by: ONSatan

The finish has shrunk noticeably and thus highlighted the grain texture (I.e the surface is not as smooth/flat as it was).
    As I have buried some autographs in the sealer and can sand without destroying them, will just applying some layers of clear coat help? Any experience of that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast