Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ESB-4 Cases

ESB-4 Cases

What are folks who have built ESB-4 basses using for a case or gigbag? i have just finished my second one...and realize that it may never be able to leave the house without something to protect it.

It's 16.5" (42 cm) wide and 48" (122 cm) long, so most cases/gigbags won't fit. Are folks making cases? Is there something out there that won't break the bank? I'd hate to spend more on case than I did on the pickups!

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I'd hate to spend more on case than I did on the pickups!
    A scenario that feels all too probable to me...

I made one as well... and - a blanket with big rubber bands is sadly my solution. I've actually been curious about this same question cuz it just seems *WRONG* but also don't wanna blow bucks on a stupid case for a low use bass. Sucker rocks the house though! Worth the effort.

Looking around, a gig bag for a full size keyboard might be a possibility...

I think that a Jack Casady case would work...but they are pricey. There are a number of cases for acoustic basses that it will fit in, but most would require some additional padding. So far the best option to me is looking like a Fender FAB 610 gig bag. Laterally it's about right and seems long enough (an ESB-4 is about 48" [122cm] long). It's a little deep, but that's not too big a deal. It's a lot less than a hardshell case, but a good price for one is still around $70 US.

The Jack Casady bass case seems just a bit too small looking at the internal dimensions here:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_e...basskoffer.htm

An acoustic bass case something like this (but with added padding) is probably the lowest cost solution:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_ju...kbass_case.htm

Factor in some extra foam and some furry covering material and be prepared to hack the insides about a bit. You may be able to pick one up used.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The Jack Casady bass case seems just a bit too small looking at the internal dimensions here
    That does look too small. Not by much, but never the less. Of course all you are going by are the published dimensions from a reputable website. Whereas, I got my info from an old post on talkbass from a guy who says he heard it from someone at the Chicago Music Exchange. CME just got back to me last night, BTW. They say they don't have a case that will fit...

Thanks for doing the actual homework!

The case you found looks quite decent, also.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Jim, worth trying a body fit in your acoustic bass case?
    Just what I thought when I saw your first post... I have one of these for my Ibanez acoustic bass: https://www.staggmusic.com/en/products/view/GCAAB.

It sort of just about fits the body, although its *very* tight across the lower bout. The major problem though is that at the headstock end there isn't enough width for the standard PB tuners. The Ibanez tuners are Y key type and are quite a bit smaller. If it weren't for the tuners the Stagg case would do for the odd trip out of the house, but its dreadfully bulky, takes up a lot of room in the music cupboard, about 2.5 standard electric guitar cases, and I don't think I'd be happy about the instrument living in one permanently.

That Thomann case appears to be a lot wider in the tuner area. So there's potential, but you would need to try the instrument in the particular case you have in mind: mail order would seem risky. An acoustic bass gig bag would presumably be more flexible and work a bit better. So yes Simon, another reason to discard the standard tuners... [Simon thinks I should upgrade from budget level hardware, but I'm trying to keep the budget down!]
    Last edited by JimC; 06-11-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast