Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ESB-4 Cases

Thomann make it really easy to do returns, so you've only really got the hassle of sending it back if it's no good. It is a large acoustic bass case, so probably a bit bigger than the Stagg one for the Ibanez. Of course that just means it's another large case taking up space. Though maybe you could share the large case between the two bases?

Is the Pit Bull ESB-4 exactly as wide as Fender3X's latest bass?

Otherwise can you get anyone with sewing machine skills to make up a padded gig bag for you? Or maybe crochet one?

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Just what I thought when I saw your first post... I have one of these for my Ibanez acoustic bass: https://www.staggmusic.com/en/products/view/GCAAB.

It sort of just about fits the body, although its *very* tight across the lower bout. The major problem though is that at the headstock end there isn't enough width for the standard PB tuners. The Ibanez tuners are Y key type and are quite a bit smaller. If it weren't for the tuners the Stagg case would do for the odd trip out of the house, but its dreadfully bulky, takes up a lot of room in the music cupboard, about 2.5 standard electric guitar cases, and I don't think I'd be happy about the instrument living in one permanently.

That Thomann case appears to be a lot wider in the tuner area. So there's potential, but you would need to try the instrument in the particular case you have in mind: mail order would seem risky. An acoustic bass gig bag would presumably be more flexible and work a bit better. So yes Simon, another reason to discard the standard tuners... [Simon thinks I should upgrade from budget level hardware, but I'm trying to keep the budget down!]
    There was a reason I had ruled out the Ibanez case based on measurements I had seen. I wondered about the bulkiness...

To answer Simon's question, my ESB-4 and the ES-Jazz hybrid have exactly the same body size. They also are almost exactly the same length. The neck joins the body at the 16th fret on the hybrid which seems to compensate for the extra length of the Fender style head-stock. I was thinking that both should fit in the same case...but had not thought about the difference in the width of the headstock--only the length. Hmmm...

I can't imagine needing to take both out of the house at the same time, so hopefully they can share a case. But I guess I need to add tuner width to the list of potential problems.

FWIW on the tuners, I used the Pit Bull tuners on my ESB-4. They appear to work fine. At least the bass stays in tune. I have had good luck with cheap Chinese tuners on at least two bases. The main problem for me with them has been weight. My ESB-4 has a fair amount of neck dive. I have a heavily modded SX Jazz style bass that had cheap tuners with a similar problem. On the Jazz I replaced the tuners with Gotoh Res-O-Lite tuners, which made a remarkable difference. It not only took care of the neck dive, but taking even a relatively small mount of weight off the end of the lever/neck hanging off my shoulder felt much better. The Gotoh's shave off about 1/3 of the weight of standard tuners. The Hipshot ultralights that I have on the hybrid are even better--closer to half the weight. If I had known this in advance I might have used the hipshots on both basess. Neck dive is one thing, but it also does not pull down on my shoulder as much, and is more comfortable in spite of saved less than a half a pound in the overall weight of the bass.

The cheapskate in me wanted the cheap Chinese tuners to win, but my aching back thinks that Simon has a point ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Thomann make it really easy to do returns, so you've only really got the hassle of sending it back if it's no good. It is a large acoustic bass case, so probably a bit bigger than the Stagg one for the Ibanez. Of course that just means it's another large case taking up space. Though maybe you could share the large case between the two bases?

Is the Pit Bull ESB-4 exactly as wide as Fender3X's latest bass?

Otherwise can you get anyone with sewing machine skills to make up a padded gig bag for you? Or maybe crochet one?
    I wish Thomann were here. Their prices in USD are great, but when you add the shipping costs are at least as high as anyone else... I am not sure about the case...but there was a gigbag with 20mm of padding...that looked pretty good, but the shipping costs were more than the gigbag.

Still whether gigbag or case that suggests that there will be a US shop that has it at a decent price. I just need to find it... or see if I can find my grandma's crocheting hook...

Shipping works both ways. Often see good deals in the US, but add-on shipping (and duty and tax) makes it cheaper to buy here, unless it's something unobtainable over here or in the EU.

So I just ordered a gig bag. I found the one that Simon pointed to at Thomann at their USA site. With shipping it was about $114 US. Not worth mail ordering for that, since I can probably get one at Sam Ash or Guitar Center (read that "big box stores for guitar stuff") for that kind of money. Also I read the review that said "...enormous and really quite heavy..."

Then I noticed that they also had a gig bag that would fit that was a "Thomann" brand. It was very simple, but had 20mm padding, and the length and lower bout dimensions seemed about right. Too deep, of course, but other than that it looked like it would work for about $27 US...but with $30 US shipping.

That prompted me to see if I could find a bag with similar specs at a US seller, figuring that Thomann did not actually make the bag, but just stuck their name tag on it. I found one that is VERY similar under the name "World Tour" at Zzounds for $28 US and free shipping in the US... So I ordered it. If it sucks, I can send it back within 45 days...and it will at least be better than what I have right now.

Thanks, guys. Would not have found it without the idea of looking at Thomanns. May have found one that won't break the bank or my back ;-) If it is decent, I may get another one for my acoustic guitar which has been case-less since it's hard shell disintegrated and it's gig bag went to Colombia with my brother-in-law to protect his new purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Superb! International co-operation at its best.
    Ha! Agreed! This is how it should be done...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Can you link to the particular Thomann page with the gig bag on it that's identical to the one you ordered. Just for Jim's benefit. I'll be ordering some Thomann cases in a week or so when I get paid again, and I can add the gig bag onto the order if Jim's interested.

I found it initially at the US site, but was also able to find it at the UK site:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gi...bass_jumbo.htm

It's not quite identical to the one I found in the US, primarily because the Thomann bag is a tad shallower. The Thomann is plenty deep enough for the ESB-4, though, at 13cm. The one I found here has the same length, width and 20mm padding, but is about 7cm deeper. So I will need a thicker piece of foam to stuff it with than JimC will ;-) I like the Thomann better, but paying the shipping would have been like buying it twice for me. Meanwhile foam is cheap...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast