Thread: angle of bass bridge

angle of bass bridge

Hi all,
    I am building a bass guitar kit, first build...I have a babicsz bridge...I am trying to line the bridge up but the instructions say to put it on an angle....what they don't say is how much of an angle?

I have checked my other bass guitars, they all seem square....including my 69 precision with badass II bridge...

What angle are we talking about, one or two degree's?

Thanks would appreciate any advice I can get regarding this....

Regards
    Jez

Cliff

I can't see any reason for the bridge to be angled at all. You don't want the strings trying to pull sideways at all. The bridge saddles will be angled when intonated. Which bridge is it? The FCH-4 in the video is a straight drop-in for a Fender bridge, and goes in all-square.

Some people angle the bridge a degree or two. Before saddles adjusted this was the only way to intonate. I don't think you have to do that with the Babicz unless you want to. In Cliff's video the installer just uses the holes that from the Fender Bridge he's replacing.

What I would do is put the G string saddle all the way toward the neck, then back it off a little. You should have a little adjustment toward the neck but you won't need that much. You can look at your P-bass and put it more-or-less there. It does tot have to be precise.

Measure from G string saddle to the middle of the 12th fret to get bridge placement. The measurement should be the same as from the bridge-side of the nut to the center of the 12th fret. This should be the only saddle you need to worry about length on before you mount the bridge. If it were me, I would not angle the bridge. I don't have a Babicz, but it looks like the E will have plenty of travel to intonate whether you angle it or not. If you do angle it, 1-2 degrees will be plenty.

Set the G string about like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	babicz.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	32655

Thank you, that's how I had it mapped out. I just couldn't come to set it on an angle but didn't want to drill anything until I was confident with what I was doing...feel much better now....