Thread: Raised trapezoid fret inlays, Gluing the neck, Chips on gluing surface - Build Virgin

Raised trapezoid fret inlays, Gluing the neck, Chips on gluing surface - Build Virgin

Hi all, first time builder making all the fun mistakes.

Currently into a 335 style kit. I've been working on the body and the neck separately, staining and finishing with Tru-Oil. I'm happy with the progress so far, I've encountered a few issues but only down to my inexperience. Mostly letting the oil make a few runs but finding 0000 steel wool is assisting where needed.

On the fret board, there are two trapezoid inlays that feel very slightly raised to the hand. Not so much that they would cause an issue with string catch but I certainly want the fret board to be as level and smooth as possible before I finish with Lemon Oil (after my first attempt at fret levelling and crowning.. That's going to be fun!)

Would using 1200 sandpaper on the fretboard level out the offending inlays? Followed by a polish with 0000 steel wool?

My next steps after that would be setting the neck. How do you do about clamping evenly without damaging the back of the body? Would making a shaped block to sit against the wood be preferable or would a squared piece buffered with some cloth or paper towel be suffucient?

Another small question would be that there are a few chips missing on the gluing side of the body, can these be filled and then sanded flat again before gluing or is Timbermate Woodfiller not an appropriate medium to glue against?

Thanks in advance!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I would use a fresh blade from an exacto knife or a razor blade to scrap the the inlays flat. Hold it at right angles like this pic and scrap until it's level.

When setting the neck a small wooden block and a rag or something is fine to stop the clamp dinging the neck/body

Lastly, I doubt there is any need to fill anything in the neck pocket, but if you are really concerned post up a pic so we can see.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thank you Sonic Mountain!

The razor did the trick beautifully. On closer inspection of the neck pocket, I was convinced it didn't need filling. 24 hours later and the neck feels snug after using a rag and a block to hold against the clamps.

Appreciate the advice!